Railroad Forums 

• Edwardsport Indiana - Duke Energy New Power Plant

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#291421  by Union Depot

As I read today in the local Vincennes Sun-Commerical, it appears that Duke Energy has selected Edwardsport, Indiana, as it's site (if Approved by the Indiana Utility Reg. Commission) for a 1 Billion Dollar coal-gasification power plant.

The existing plant, which is currently coal-fired only and was built in 1918, is still in operation. The plant originally received coal from the Pennsylvania's Vincennes Branch (the old Indianapolis & Vincennes), which the region the plant is located in is rich in coal resources. However in the 1970's, the line from Sandborn to Bicknell was removed (the line from Bicknell to Vincennes earlier) leaving the plant only with the option of having coal trucked in via trucks using two-lane Indiana State Road 67.

My question is this, since Duke is making a 1 Billion Dollar investiment, will they also seek a partnership with the Indiana Railroad (that currently owns the Hawtorne Mine Branch) to relay tracks the 7 miles from Sandborn to Edwardsport? It would only make sense, being that Duke has promised to only use Indiana Coal at the new plant, if approved.

Any comments are welcomed. Thanks!

#324918  by Tadman

The folks at INRD seem to be pretty sharp, and run a clean railroad. If anybody could pull that off, it would be them.
 #324989  by Union Depot

I just noticed a mistake about the Indiana Railroad, it should be the "Indiana Southern Railroad" operates the line into Sandborn, Indiana (Hawthorne Mine).