Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1388471  by Highball

Greyhound Bus Co. is now operating from VIA's Edmonton Station. The former downtown bus terminal is being redeveloped in conjunction with the new downtown Ice Arena. At least now, a more convenient connection exists for passengers on the Canadian, with Greyhound schedules to / from Calgary.
 #1395962  by Mark0f0

Can you buy a joint ticket that guarantees boarding of a Greyhound bus if the Canadian is many hours late arriving? I'd hate to book a 'connection' only to be severely late arriving on the train and losing the ticket.
 #1396031  by jp1822

The Canadian can not even guarantee or make connections upon its arrival at Toronto or even Vancouver within its own system. Making a guarantee at Edmonton for the bus to Calgary - I DOUBT VIA will enter into such with a third party.

VIA had sought to put a high speed line into effect from Edmonton to Calgary and that to got sideswiped. Regardless of the Canadian (train) these are two "western" towns that would do great from such service, including the few intermediate points it used to have.
 #1396050  by Mark0f0

So basically if you travel to Edmonton (from the east or the west), you need to either buy a walk-up ticket on Greyhound, or roll the dice on the Greyhound agent being sympathetic to the Canadian arriving many hours late (8 hours last time I took it!).

Pretty pathetic, IMHO.