Railroad Forums 

• EDMO / MOED / EDRJ / RJED / 11R / 14R

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1535683  by HarmonicRock

newpylong wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:33 pm The MF wye was rebuilt when Pan Am Southern was formed. Prior to that it was 3 tracks in various states of disrepair. It is now one single through track. It has been used on and off over the years for intechange.

A drive by this evening had probably a dozen+ guys and some equipment working feverishly on the interchange track. Surprisingly, it didn’t look as bad as I remembered from last summer, where it resembled a jungle more than anything...
 #1535716  by NHV 669

The westbound (28W?) sat quite a while at Millers Falls waiting on that work, they just took off this morning after arriving yesterday afternoon.

They should be headed north somewhere on the NECR; they passed Northfield about an hour ago.
 #1535718  by oibu

Agreed with harmonic, I haven't seen it for a couple of years now but the Millers Falls connection has been looking pretty sketchy for most of PAS's existence as far as I've seen. I could not say if it saw some work and usage right at the start of PAS as newpylong states and then fell back into disuse and got neglected until now, or if the rehab was actually much more recent. In any event, good to know it is now in a serviceable state as a through connection again.
 #1535722  by newpylong

Yes, as I said it has been used on and off - but never for as much tonnage as they are pushing through now. Sometime after PAS was formed (I don't recall the exact year) the NECR interchange was moved from Brattleboro to MF but under pressure from NECR (because it's a pain in the ass move and only can be done without splitting power going north) plus other changes in PAS's VT traffic, the interchange was moved back to Brat. Since then it has only been used on and off for very small tonnage, cripples, mow, etc, so there is no surprise no major work and no brush cutting has been done now with renewed use.
 #1535757  by Plate C

I saw that WB today at Brattleboro around 8:15. Then made my way down to MF and by 9:30am saw what I'm guessing was POED coming through. Did see some workers clearing out right before that. I don't regularly go there but what was most noticeable was the removal of the old boxcar that used to sit off on one side. I guess I got lucky today on the WB, it was a sight. Are there approximate times on these moves? I might like to catch that again.
 #1535795  by johnpbarlow

I read a posting on Eastern RR News & Sighting Facebook page that indicated some amount of heavier rail was installed at the NECR-PAS connection at MF prior to the wb auto rack train heading north on NECR.
 #1535891  by J.D. Lang

I would think that there must be a lack of enough qualified crews available over the participating RR's to cover all of the detours.
 #1535894  by johnpbarlow

Given that CSX can access all customers east of the Hoosac Tunnel via existing interchange with PAR / PAS at Ayer, I think any container/auto/carload embargo that NS must institute due to the the prolonged tunnel outage may drive all or a lot of such business to CSX. Net: NS sees a major revenue loss while CSX wins more New England traffic and Pan Am only loses the IM/auto haul revenue over D3. It's unfortunate given the level of investment NS has made over the past 10 years in buying the D&H South lines and in Pan Am. NS revenues on the Southern Tier and perhaps deeper into its system will also take a hit. I hope I'm wrong and NS can pull a rabbit out of its hat.
 #1535922  by Plate C

Empty auto train and NS power was sitting in ED today. NECR appeared to be going about their normal business, saw them hit MF about the normal time with no sign of PAR.
 #1535925  by jaymac

Plate C-
Depending on when you saw them, the MT racks coulda been those on the tail of the ED-9 holding at Parkers predawn 03-06.