Railroad Forums 

• Easton area RR rehab?

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#830359  by Mr. Ed

I just came up from Annapolis across the Bay Bridge and on out 301 to Delaware for the first time in ten years. The last time I went through the area, the tracks from Easton that cross 301 on a diagonal had concrete barriers across the tracks keeping any rail traffic from using the line. Now today I see the barriers are gone and there is a new signal box beside the track. Is this line back in operation?

Then farther up on 301 a track crosses the highway and it too has a new signal box. Is there new traffic down there too?

Thanks.

Later!
Mr. Ed
 #830933  by RailVet

Unfortunately there's no chance of railroad activity in Easton, MD. During my last visit several years ago, I found that the rail line through town had been lifted and the right-of-way converted to a trail. The line itself has been inactive for decades. Bill Bartosh was interested in reactivating this state-owned former PRR line from Clayton to Easton during the 1990s as the Chesapeake Railroad, but the lease ran out in late 1998 and the state didn't renew it. The line was cleared of any remaining rolling stock and was subsequently consumed again by vegetation. It had never been reopened any further south than Queen Anne and traffic was minimal - certainly not enough to pay for the many millions required to repair and maintain the track and trestles along the line. Bill himself told me, when the line was still in business, that he was interested in reaching Easton to serve possible customers there, but the mayor wanted to convert the line in town to a trail. The mayor got his wish.

You'll find pictures of the Easton trail, as well as other locations along the line, at this URL:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 3&start=15