Railroad Forums 

• East Moriches and Eastport / Hagstrom's Suffolk County Atlas

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #88533  by Legio X

While looking at the Hagstrom Suffolk County Atlas, I noticed that East Moriches and Eastport are shown as having freight stations, as defined by the key to the atlas, a white box outlined in black. The East Moriches station is shown as being located at Pine St. / Railroad Ave. / Culver La. The Eastport location is shown as being located next to Main St. between Seatuck Ave. and Union St.

So, what is the story of these locations in the atlas? Are these locations served by the NYA, or is this outdated information used by Hagstrom? Were these locations last served by the LIRR?

If they are active NYA locations, what is the track arrangement of the sidings / spurs? Hand-thrown switches, or controlled by the tower in Patchogue? Thanks.

#88535  by jayrmli

Hagstrom maps are always outdated when it comes to this. It probably also lists the Calverton siding to Grumman still in service, as well as many other stations still in existence that are no more. (i.e. Brookhaven, Calverton, Manorville).

I doubt they would be listed as freight stations. They were passenger stations at one time, showing how out of date the info really is.

Jay

#88539  by emfinite

PD only controls the interlockings of PD (including "Y" block station) and MS. Every switch east of MS-2 is hand thrown NOT remote from PD.

#88542  by Legio X

They are shown as freight stations. The passenger stations are solid black boxes, freight stations white outlined in black. No mistake on my part....

#88554  by RRChef

Hagstroms are always outdated. I have a Suffolk County Hagstrom from the early 90's that shows the State land in Rocky Point as being The Radio Corporation of America Trans Atlantic Radio Station which I believe was abandoned in the 60's.

#88774  by robertwa

The Hagsptrom I have from the 1990's still shows the Westbridge station!

#88777  by Lupo 10

I learned long ago to dismiss Hagstroms when they still had Penn Central operating the Bayridge in a 1989 map!!!!

Best maps to use are those SPV railroad atlases. I've found them to help me a great deal on trips and their depiction of Long Island is pretty dead on.

#88931  by Sir Ray

Legio X wrote:They are shown as freight stations. The passenger stations are solid black boxes, freight stations white outlined in black. No mistake on my part....
Yeah, we had a discussion about this on a thread concerning the Edison/Perth Amboy rail lines - I actually visited three or four of these 'freight stations' in the area (same outlined boxes with station name), and generally nothing was there (or a company parking lot, or a distributor's building, but no freight station).

#89205  by SeldenJrFireman

Map publishers also change/leave certain things to prevent plagerism. They will make up a town name and put it in a certain spot. If another map has that town name in the exact sam spot, it was more than likely copied. On one of my NYS maps, there is supposed to be a "town" called "Gretchky" right up the road from my Aunts house. The only towns that are up that way are Pharsaila, North Norwich.

#90218  by badneighbor

MIA freight- in a very old Hagstrom's my father had, long ago, a freight station was drawn at Third Avenue in Bay Shore. While the team siding is still there, the freight house line has since been paved over, and i don't ever remember seeing the freight house. I'm not sure when it was razed.

#123337  by Legio X

With the return of warm weather, is NYA serving customers in Eastport again?

#123721  by Fla East Coast Chris

Hi Legioo X and anyone else,
Yes NYa put 2 covered hoppers in Eastport this past weekend. Very attractive blah looking grey with rust spots. The commodity was "corn".
Chris's low carb rail reports