Railroad Forums 

• East Deerfield Gawking

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

#1567466  by newpylong

roberttosh wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:22 pm I'm fairly certain that when CR moved the interchange from Rott Jct to Barbers back in the early 90's, at least for a time all West end traffic was moving over West Springfield, except for a limited amount of traffic to and from the Rotterdam/Scotia area, which still moved via Rott Jct.
You could be onto something there. In that era the only train running out west daily was the job to/from the D&H, so the CSX local cars had to come from somewhere and they weren't getting them at Barbers.
 #1567523  by NYC27

The Conrail interchanges were split as follows: Rotterdam Jct. (points in NY), Pittsfield (Canaan Branch), Springfield (Connecticut River Line points and Adams Branch) and Barber everything else.
 #1576186  by GU1001

Not exactly E. Deerfield, but noticed what appeared to be 22k tied down in Buckland this evening around 5:30. With all the flooding being reporting the towns of Orange & Millers Falls, was wondering if Pan Am was experiencing any flood related issues? Has any heard any reports?
 #1576255  by F74265A

Years ago in the 1990s guilford dragged the last truck of an auto rack train up the Worcester main in Lancaster. Just a small indent in each tie
There was Zero real damage to the track bad until the derailed truck hit a bridge girder. I’d bet many of those ties are still there
 #1576257  by atholrail

Yup. 7 miles. Not much damage thankfully. The train crew was really lucky it got the end of their train. Crews had the cars rerailed early this afternoon, and were putting in spikes and ties were they were needed. Not sure how bad the mud slide ended up being, it was just east of Farley.
 #1576259  by newpylong

Good thing those spines are light. I've seen loaded freight split ties in half and clip spike heads...
 #1576285  by GU1001

So, am I correct in understanding the mudslide was just east of Farleys & they continued 7 miles east from there? That would put them just about in Orange, no? Through a few switches in Erving? Lucky there wasn’t much damage!
 #1576318  by GU1001

So I took a ride to Farleys today. Lots of company trucks parked around the crossing. Crews must’ve been working farther down the line. Could see where runoff came off the road on the uphill side of the crossing & covered the crossing & immediate area in debris. The railhead had obvious crushed stone on top. Didn’t look too serious, but it had already been cleaned up there. Maybe a more significant overflow happened farther away out of sight.
Went to Erving & saw a tamper & regulator working just east of the Millers river bridge. Also a crew doing some manual labor a bit closer to downtown. Boy, the vegetation is thick on both tracks in that area. Must make inspection & repair a PIA for the crews! It didn’t appear to be too torn up to the casual observer. The couple crunched ties I saw were due for replacement anyway. Probably a blessing in disguise.
 #1627575  by johnpbarlow

I have no idea but at $7M total, it must be a small project unless PAS owners are going to kick-in some significant capital. funds. But CSX already has an IM facility on the Conn River at W Springfield. Maybe it's a low budget bulk transload facility?
 #1627577  by newpylong

Yes a full fledged IM terminal makes no sense there. Since intermodal is such a broad word there must be something else to it...
 #1627579  by CN9634

Government planning likes to slap the word intermodal on anything Rail related because it sounds important and interesting…. It’s probably just new switches and surfacing of the yard
 #1628552  by atholrail

B&E ran an EDPW today straight PW train. Believe it was the ED9 crew so don't think this is a regular thing.

ED2 is now the 2nd trick hump, ED3 third trick, ED4 hump relief.

ED9 is now EDSP.

ED5 is back, same job as ED4.