Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #498992  by jmonner

I remeber years ago seeing a 1960s topo map of Baltimore with a roundhouse shown near the PRR/B&O tracks in East Baltimore. I believe it was a PRR/PC property. I was google earthing (such a great railfan tool!) and saw what could be the remains. It is certaily the right area.

N 39deg 17min 46.38 sec
W 76deg 33 min 33.24 sec

Near Pulaski Hwy & Monument Street

The "Scar" if you will, looks to be a perfect circle with radiating track marks. Is it the old roundhouse, or just the remains from a center pivot sand loader? It looks way to perfect though.

Does anyone know the history?

#499071  by BaltOhio

What was known as the PRR's Orangeville engine terminal was located east of Kresson St. and immediately south of the present Amtrak NEC mainline, with street access from Kresson St. and rail access from a spot to the east at about where the B&O's Highlandtown-Sparrows Point branch crosses over the NEC. As I recall, this facility dated to about the 1913-16 period and was built to centralize Pennsy's Baltimore engine facilities, which previously had been scattered around town, with the original main terminal located at Mt. Vernon yard, north of North Ave., and a small one east of Penn Station at Guilford Ave.

The Organgeville roundhouse, when it existed, was at the west end of the facility backing against Kresson St. There were several other large buildings housing offices and materials stores on the south side in the complex. The roundhouse was demolished in the early diesel era, although trhe turntable may have been retained afterward. The terminal itself lasted into the Conrail era, but I forget when it was closed.

The B&O had a very small open engine facility at the west end of its Bay View yard, just east of the Pulaski Hwy.-Monument St. intersection. B&O's main Baltimore engine terminal was at Riverside, on Locust Point, and Bay View was generally used only for yard power. As far as I know, there was never a turntable there, since power was turned on the wye (which still exists) at the Bay View yard office.

#499787  by CarterB

If you use MicroSoft Virtual Earth, and look at NE corner of North Kesson and East Fayette, the RH foundation/s are quite visible.