Railroad Forums 

• Early EMC and EMD Manuals

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#146840  by mxdata

Many early EMC and EMD manuals from the 1930s and 1940s were published in a bulletin style numbering system. Has anyone ever come across a comprehensive listing that indexes the number sequence to their respective subjects?

#146843  by UPRR engineer

My grandpa hired out as steam was coming to an end, i have what he saved. Do you mean a book for each subject about the locomotive? or that each subject in the book is numbered?

#146847  by mxdata

If you go back to the manuals EMC and later EMD issued in the 1930s and the 1940s, most of them have an identifying bulletin number either printed on the cover or on the page inside the front cover. This is not part of the page or chapter numbering system, it is a distinct number assigned to that particular type of manual. This is particularly true of the manuals for the FT locomotives, it seems that every time they did a run of manuals for a particular railroad they assigned a new bulletin number. I have never seen any index or listing done of these, and am curious whether any of the other contributors to this forum might have seen a list?

#146850  by UPRR engineer

Oh so your asking about a list of the manuals, i see now.

#146866  by mxdata

Yes, that is exactly correct. Thanks!

#146877  by UPRR engineer

Ok then.

I cant even think of reason for a list. thats just me though.

#147689  by mxdata

Indexes only become important when you are trying to locate information to help answer questions.

#148796  by txbritt

Well,

If anyone is making a list here's an entry.

Maintenance Manual,
Model 567A Engines
August 15, 1944
Manual 252A

I've noticed that in this manual there are references to other books/manuals regarding certain procedures.

For example, the manual refers to Maintenance instruction 607 for overhaul procedures detailing Magnet Valves. I would assume that instruction 607 covers electropneumatic devices?

Hope this helps a bit.

TxBritt

#152158  by mxdata

TxBritt, thanks for your posting on this. I am saving all the bulletin numbers I come across to eventually try to put together a listing.