Railroad Forums 

• E9BA (Crandall Cab)

• Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.
Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.

Moderator: Komachi

#646412  by atsf sp

I was looking through rrpicturesarchives and I came across CNW 504 in Evanston, IL. It says that it is an E9BA. What is this engine, why was it made this way? I would think it is a rebuild. Looks like a F40 but defiantely isn't. Could anyone help. Here's the pic.http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=862286
 #646457  by westr

It is a rebuild. It was originally a cabless Union Pacific E8B that C&NW bought just after Amtrak. The strange looking cab is a C&NW creation called a Crandall Cab to turn the B unit into a A unit. C&NW had half a dozen of these.
 #647777  by CNW5022-A519

the CNW had six of these units and were numbered 501 to 506, some guys think there ugly but they were interesting to look at,