Railroad Forums 

• E&N Ry.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#65600  by 2spot

This is my first post. How much of E&Ns mainline through Nanaimo is owned by RailAmerica? When does Island Corridor Foundation(did I get that right?) take control of CPs portion,north and south of Nanaimo? Will it operate as it does now? Also,did RA get the SW1500s yet? Thanks in advance. 2Spot.

#65797  by missthealcos

I believe RA only owns the track from the Welcox spur(Stockett I think, do they own the spur as well??) junction to Parksville, and the Alberni sub.

#66158  by 2spot

Thanks Missthealcos. I knew about the Alberni sub belonging to RA, but was unsure about the mainline. Any word on those SWs? 2spot.

#71436  by ENR3870

2spot wrote:Thanks Missthealcos. I knew about the Alberni sub belonging to RA, but was unsure about the mainline. Any word on those SWs? 2spot.
2spot, RailAmerica owns the E&N from the Wellcox yard lead(CP still owns the Wellcox yard) the entire Stocketts Spur, the Victoria Sub from the south wye switch at Stocketts to the south wye switch at Parksville, and the Port Alberni Sub from the south wye switch at Parksville to the Stamp Ave. crossing in Port Alberni, Norske Canada and CPR own the Port Alberni yard. RailAmerica leases the rest from CP, except the Victoria Shops, which CP rents out to the VIA Rail maintenace contractor.

The SW's aren't coming, RailAmerica decided to keep the GP38's.

#72029  by 2spot

Thanks ENR3870 for your input. Given your knowledge of the islands railways (past & present), I wondered when you'd post. Anything new on the E&N? I havent seen a GP38 here in quite a while. Oh yeah, and how far along are you on the GMD1 project? Its not an ALCo, but I'd like to help anyway. Whats it going to do once its here?

#72433  by ENR3870

2spot wrote:Thanks ENR3870 for your input. Given your knowledge of the islands railways (past & present), I wondered when you'd post. Anything new on the E&N? I havent seen a GP38 here in quite a while. Oh yeah, and how far along are you on the GMD1 project? Its not an ALCo, but I'd like to help anyway. Whats it going to do once its here?

The GP38's don't come down here too often as there's no freight customers south of Duncan. The only time you'll see them here in Victoria is if they're returning a damaged Budd. The GMD-1 project isn't going as well as I had hoped. We haven't had one donation yet. Once it's here, we'd use it to pull excurions, lease it to the E&N if they have problems with their motive power, lease it to the maintenace contractor for VIA Rail so they could switch the RDC's around.

#72512  by 2spot

What shape is the 1170 in mechanically? I found some pics, it doesnt look too bad, just faded. I cant tell if the stacks were capped or not. I'm glad you planned to put it in service and not as a static display. Couldnt see it at the entrance to" The Railyards"development. :) Do you know what became of GMD1 1003? -2spot.

#72696  by ENR3870

2spot wrote:What shape is the 1170 in mechanically? I found some pics, it doesnt look too bad, just faded. I cant tell if the stacks were capped or not. I'm glad you planned to put it in service and not as a static display. Couldnt see it at the entrance to" The Railyards"development. :) Do you know what became of GMD1 1003? -2spot.

The 1170 is in operational condition. The plan is to keep it in the CPR roundhouse once we get the roundhouse. The 1003 was rebuilt in 1989(replaced by 1070) and is still working for CN as 1410.

#72748  by 2spot

You might look at this site:www.capitolrail.com.Go to stock for sale. Its a rather small picture, and maybe not where you wanted to see it. Then again, maybe thats where you found it. I hope this isnt bad news to you. Sorry if it is.

#73129  by ENR3870

The unit is owned by Taylor Group Marine.

#73487  by 2spot

The unit, and 8 others, are for sale through Capitolrail. I take it you knew already.

#73679  by ENR3870

2spot wrote: I take it you knew already.

Yep, I did. But the unit is owned by Taylor Group Marine.

#74047  by 2spot

Would you use the 1170 as is, or restore it to A1A trucks? What other gear is planned for the Esquimalt roundhouse by the E&N division, and what all do you have so far?

#74220  by ENR3870

2spot wrote:Would you use the 1170 as is, or restore it to A1A trucks? What other gear is planned for the Esquimalt roundhouse by the E&N division, and what all do you have so far?
The 1170 would probably be used as is. It's rather hard to find the A1A trucks for the GMD-1's. The Forest Museum might be sending the Whitcomb Centre Cab switcher(from the Crofton Pulp Mill) and Mayo Lumber No.3 when it comes back from Summerland. CP has also donated a 50 boxcar that should come down the next time the ENR has a load for Victoria(it'll be sitting at Wellcox for a while). We've got an ex-CN transfer caboose and an E&N 40 ft. boxcar, they're sitting in the yard in Victoria.

#74233  by 2spot

Impressive list ya got there. I hope you get the 80 ton Whitcomb and 50 ton Shay from the good folks at the Forest Discovery Center. There probably isnt another Whitcomb in all of BC. And a completely operational 2 truck Shay would put the E&N division on the map. A must see for railfans from everywhere. If you guys also got the 1170 you'd have the second largest roster on the island. ( Canfor has 4 SW1200s and a 2 8 2 ):) -2spot.