Railroad Forums 

• Dynamically protected crosssings?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#276220  by RussNelson

I wonder if anybody has tried to dynamically protect highway crossings? Rather than have a fixed crossing signal, you have a lightweight vehicle with a railroad crossing signal mounted on it, which slowly enters into a highway in advance of a train, and sits there blinking for a bit of time. Then when the train is within 10 to 20 seconds of the crossing, it skedaddles ahead to the next crossing.

It would have to be pretty high-tech, since it would need to know 1) where the highway crossing is, 2) where the train is, 3) the train's speed, and 4) have the energy resources to accellerate from a dead stop out of the intersection and get up to and exceed the train's speed so it can get ahead and guard the next crossing.

Also, if cross8ings are frequent enough, you would have to have two of them, so one can run ahead and guard the next corssing after the next one sidles in to take its place.

Before you say "Russell, you're whacked!" consider that this wouldn't be a replacement for existing crossing gates or lights, but instead an enhancement over existing unprotected crossings. It would serve as additional protection for an infrequently used set of tracks.

#276372  by Aji-tater

This heat wave is terrible, it's starting to have some serious effects on folks! :-)

Seriously, while it's great to think outside the box this just has too many flaws. What would power them? What gives them track authority? What protects people or equipment on the tracks from them? How do you deal with debris on the tracks, or snow and ice, which a train might be heavy enough to deal with but not these things. How about when a motorist has his head up his behind and hits the gizmo, now the train can't stop and hits both? How about when the train is doing switching and has to make a reverse move across a crossing, how do you get the contraption around the train to go the other way? Remember from a liability standpoint if you're going to protect with them SOME time you will need to protect with them ALL the time or a motorist who hits the train could blame it on the fact he didn't see any robot so he thought the train was not coming.

Personally I like the idea on a sunken concrete wall which rises up out of the road and blocks it off completely, LOL. But some moron would figure how to stop right on top of it and have their car lifted up into the air. Or would that be the railfans, because it gave a neat elevated photo spot?

It's a novel idea, but other than Lionel it's not practical. Turn the AC up another notch and pop a cold one, we'll get through this heat somehow! ;-)

#276618  by keotaman

Aji-tater wrote: ... Personally I like the idea on a sunken concrete wall which rises up out of the road and blocks it off completely, LOL. ...
This rings a bell -- isn't there a hinged plate thingy used in some European crossings to block the roadway? Anybody know what I mean?

#276637  by U-Haul

Yes, those are used in Thomas the Tank Engine and grandpa remembers seeing them in use when he when to the UK. Having a gate that goes all the way across the road might be more feasible than a truck on steel wheels. I belive RussNelson is not going crazy due to the heat, but once you get an idea you just have to tell someone.

#276661  by GOLDEN-ARM

They are testing a barricade, here in the U.S., that lowers itself into the traffic lane, and it's capable of stopping a truck, travelling at 60 mph, according to an article in Railway Age. I like the idea of "treadles" that pop out of the pavement. (the "don't back-up, or severe tire damage will occur" type) and destroy all 4 tires, on those that refuse to yield. Another idea, hire the homeless, to stand at crossings, and throw tie-plates, anchors, or whatever, at "offenders" that don't stop. A few sandwiches, and a couple of cold ones........Very inexpensive :-D

#276743  by cifn2

lol homeless hirees? lol that might be a solution, but not very affordable.

#276923  by GOLDEN-ARM

Affordable? A bottle of Thunderbird, a pack of Pall Malls, and a 7-11 tuna sandwich. Not every crossing would need protection. A pile of tie plates, spikes and anchors, at each crossing, and allow them to hold up their "will work for food" signs, in between trains. A "win-win" situation, to be sure......... :-D

#277118  by cifn2

guess that is why they say respect your elders Golden-Arm, you think outside of the box... he he :) I didn't think like that... Tuna salad in the heat MMMMMMM, how about some good old hobo stew cooked on the pavement?

#277465  by mxdata

The talk of barricades brings back an event years ago, when the Virginia Highway Department protected the loading ramp at their James River ferry slips with a chain that was strung between two posts. I remember a news report of a local who had just missed the departing ferry and attempted to jump his car from the pier to the boat. The chain did not stop the car, he took the chain and the two posts with him, but fortunately for the people on the ferry it took enough velocity off the car so it missed the stern, landing in the water aft of the boat. Right after that they installed much more substantial barricades.

#277618  by cifn2

lol true, they have things in place for a reason... and also I love your signature!

#277621  by cifn2

http://www.uprr.com/she/safety/xing_saf ... tion.shtml

Railroad Crossings
Who Decides Where They Are Located?

One of the commonly held misconceptions is that railroads decide where and what types of highway crossing signals are installed.
In reality, the process is governed by a federal program since crossing signals are defined by the Federal Highway Administration as highway control devices, not railroad signals.

Railroad crossing signal installations and signal upgrades primarily are funded by federal safety funds, originally through "Section 130 funding," but more recently under other titles. The states receive an allocation of federal money each year for grade crossing improvements.

Each state is tasked to develop a system to determine a priority list for crossing safety improvements. The factors, which can vary from state to state, include such elements as train speed, train volume, average daily traffic and accident history, are calculated by formula.