Railroad Forums 

• dynamic braking?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#324871  by ridintherails

locomotives equiped with just a standard engineers control stand doesnot consist of dynamic braking right? If so, can puting the reverser handle in reverse position while train is moving forward, and then applying power, does this act as dynamic braking?
 #324888  by jz441

ridintherails wrote:locomotives equiped with just a standard engineers control stand doesnot consist of dynamic braking right?
Most do have the dynamic brake.
Here is the control stand of BNSF GP39-2:

ridintherails wrote:If so, can puting the reverser handle in reverse position while train is moving forward, and then applying power, does this act as dynamic braking?
No! That will seriously damage the locomotive, and there is a good chance of you getting zapped by 600v.
Changing the direction while in motion will cause all axles on the locomotives to lock up and probably derail the cars behind you.

#324902  by ridintherails

Even tho i am only 16 years old, i have been around trains all my life. Most of my experiences of locomotives have been with the mbta. Most of their f40's consist of aar control stands. In one of my f40 operations manuals, it says the "f40-2c is not equiped with dynamic braking but there are other ways of stoping the train using only locomotive power". Puting the reverser in the oposite deriection of movement while train is in motion was the only thing i could think of... is there another way?

#324906  by DutchRailnut

Commuter locomotives do not often have seperate dynamic brake.
The dynamic brake feature is activated from main brake and is called blended brake.

#324911  by jz441

Do MNRR locomotives have the separate DB?
 #324946  by Steve F45

[quote="jz441]Most do have the dynamic brake.
Here is the control stand of BNSF GP39-2:
Image[/quote]

Could someone explain what each handle does? I can never figure them out if not labeled.

#324950  by NS212

The top black lever is the dynamic braking system, the middle lever is the throttle (you pull it towards you to throttle up and away to throttle down), and the bottom is the reverser (push it foward to be in the foward position, middle is neutral and pull it back to reverse). The red is the train brake and there should be one there for the locomotive brakes right under it but I don't see one. And of course that brownish looking lever at the very top, my favorite, THE HORN :-D..
Kevin
Last edited by NS212 on Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#324954  by AEM7AC920

ridintherails wrote:Even tho i am only 16 years old, i have been around trains all my life. Most of my experiences of locomotives have been with the mbta. Most of their f40's consist of aar control stands. In one of my f40 operations manuals, it says the "f40-2c is not equiped with dynamic braking but there are other ways of stoping the train using only locomotive power". Puting the reverser in the oposite deriection of movement while train is in motion was the only thing i could think of... is there another way?

Our F40PH-2C locomotive do use dynamic braking in blended braking operation. What F40PH-2C manual are you reading, in section 3.22 page 3-25 it tells you about blended air and dynamic braking. The dynamic braking in the blended brake portion is used by having the throttle in idle and having blended brake cut in.
Last edited by AEM7AC920 on Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#324955  by NS212

Oh wait I see the loco brake now. Missed it when I first looked at it..lol

Kevin

#324980  by DutchRailnut

MN locomotives do not have dynamic brake, the Genesis P32acdm does have blended brake, and so did the fl-9ac's.
the amtrak P40's do have blended and seperate dynamic brake.

#324986  by jz441

I can’t believe that they ordered P32ACDM's without a separate DB?
So,.. do you guys just power brake through the undulating territory?

Do NJT locos have se a separate DB?

#325018  by steemtrayn

jz441 wrote:Do NJT locos have se a separate DB?
The only NJT diesels with separate dynamic brakes are 4300-4303.

#325020  by DutchRailnut

Power braking is prohibited on Metro North and most other commuter railroads that work with blended brake.

#325037  by jz441

DutchRailnut wrote:Power braking is prohibited on Metro North and most other commuter railroads that work with blended brake.
Thanks Dutch!
Are you allowed to stretch brake (run 4 and bellow)?

#325050  by DutchRailnut

Negative, using power during braking automaticly cancels power as locomotive prioritizes for braking(blended brake) .