Railroad Forums 

• Dutch trains become 100% powered by wind energy

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1416635  by johnthefireman

Definitely. I think I mentioned somewhere before (although I can't find it now) that last year there were complete 24 hour periods and in some cases even a couple of days at a time when all the electricity produced across the whole of the UK was from non-fossil fuels. The same has been true in a number of other developed countries.
 #1416648  by george matthews

Definitely. I think I mentioned somewhere before (although I can't find it now) that last year there were complete 24 hour periods and in some cases even a couple of days at a time when all the electricity produced across the whole of the UK was from non-fossil fuels. The same has been true in a number of other developed countries.
I think that was true of Portugal. I am not sure it is likely for Britain.

Today, Wednesday, I got a small amount of warm water from the sun for the couple of hours near noon. Just a token.
 #1416749  by David Benton

Do they count Nuclear as a non fossil fuel. IF they do , i imagine it may be possible on a windy , sunny day.
I do recall an item in the news , and I think it was the UK mentioned.
 #1416853  by george matthews

David Benton wrote:Do they count Nuclear as a non fossil fuel. IF they do , i imagine it may be possible on a windy , sunny day.
I do recall an item in the news , and I think it was the UK mentioned.
Yes, nuclear is a growing segment of the electricity generation. It is good that it reduces the amount of CO2 emitted but it obviously has its own bad effects.
A new proposed source will also cut CO2 emissions. The government has approved a tidal scheme which could produce a significant proportion of CO2 free energy. The first phase will be off the South Wales coast based on Swansea.