Railroad Forums 

• DuPont Chambers Works

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1433968  by Teutobergerwald

The view on Google Earth of the DuPont Chambers Works in Deepwater, NJ shows an extensive rail network, with tankers and covered hoppers in abundance. Does DuPont have its own in-house rail service switching the facilities, or is that done by another entity such as SMS or Conrail Shared Assets, or another shortline? Thanks.
 #1434163  by von schlieffen

This is the end of the line for the daily CA-11 and occasional nighttime NS coal run (normally NS506). The adjacent Carneys Point Generating Station receives coal hoppers, which it burns to produce electricity and steam for the chemical plant next door. As far as I know trains no longer cross the Salem Canal to reach the powerplant on the south side of the bridge (Deepwater Generating)-- it recently converted from coal to natural gas operation. Chambers works is likely the biggest single rail customer in South Jersey.
 #1435702  by bluedash2

von schlieffen wrote:This is the end of the line for the daily CA-11 and occasional nighttime NS coal run (normally NS506). The adjacent Carneys Point Generating Station receives coal hoppers, which it burns to produce electricity and steam for the chemical plant next door. As far as I know trains no longer cross the Salem Canal to reach the powerplant on the south side of the bridge (Deepwater Generating)-- it recently converted from coal to natural gas operation. Chambers works is likely the biggest single rail customer in South Jersey.
The former Connectiv Plant at Deepwater was supposed to be converted to gas back in '09 but never was. It has since been sold by Conectiv and to this day sits dormant.
 #1435790  by von schlieffen

You're talking about the one directly south of the Del. Mem. Bridge? I didn't realize the conversion never happened. Just know that sometime in the last several years the pile of coal next to it got smaller and smaller, and then one day very recently they tore up the storage pad and conveyor. I wonder if they're scrapping the entire plant or if there's any future for it?
 #1435890  by bluedash2

von schlieffen wrote:You're talking about the one directly south of the Del. Mem. Bridge? I didn't realize the conversion never happened. Just know that sometime in the last several years the pile of coal next to it got smaller and smaller, and then one day very recently they tore up the storage pad and conveyor. I wonder if they're scrapping the entire plant or if there's any future for it?
Yes I am. They long sold the SW-7 to Winchester and Western. I have no idea on any future plans.