Railroad Forums 

• Duplicate posts

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#347525  by John_Perkowski

Mike/Jessy/Otto, and other Mods...

In the past couple of days, I've noticed that several Members, who ordainarily are excellent in their posting habits, have dropped double posts into the system.

These members are pretty concientious (sp?) about what and how they post... soo....

Is there a hiccup that is permitting/forcing double posts in the software?

TIA for checking on this.

#347556  by Lirr168

I have found the same thing of late. In my own experience, sometimes after clicking submit the page will say "done" at the bottom left of the broswer window but I will not get the "Your message has been entered successfully" page. As a result, I will hit submit again and will then get the usual message page. However, it seems that once the broswer window reads "Done," the message has been entered, so submitting again results in the double post. I am not sure this is really a railroad.net problem so much as it is an ISP or browser problem.

#347576  by Noel Weaver

It has happened to me but not very often. I think it might be something
in my own computer that caused it but I am not sure. If I notice it in time,
I will put a stop to it and if it gets posted, I will either try to delete the
duplicate post or at least remove all of the text. I don't like reading two
post exactly the same either.
Noel Weaver

#347651  by Otto Vondrak

No hiccups I know about. Sometimes I get impatient and I hit the "submit" button more than once, resulting in a dupe post. I delete 'em as soon as I see 'em.

-otto-

#347679  by JoeG

Can you still delete your own posts?

#347711  by Otto Vondrak

Everyone has the ability to delete their own posts. You have to be logged in to do so. Look for this Image button. It's at the top right of your post, next to Image and Image . If you don't see it, you're not logged in.

-otto-

#347759  by John_Perkowski

I am doing the pruning as I wander through my threads, but when the double posters are not my "usual suspects", I wanted to ask.

#347932  by pablo

This has happened to me a couple of times, and I think I know why it is. Rather, when it's going to happen. It has happened to me on my home PC once when I had quite a few things open and the memory was running full-bore. It has also happened on my school Crapintosh more than once; I like Macintosh's, but when they are saddled with less than appropriate memory, they suck.

In any case, I will write something, and click post.

There is an unsuually long wait, and the screen doesn't change, though in IE 6 the bar at the bottom of the screen slowly increases , as though the page is loading. In Firefox, at school, the little wheel at the top right keeps spinning.

The title bar at the top of the page will change rapidly twice, and then revert ot the page that says my material has been posted, or whatever it says.

When that blinks at the top of the screen, I'll get a double post. Also, if I get impatient and click "back" and "post" again, it's a double post, but I know that now.

It's either a local memory issue or something at the site running slow, or a combination of the two.

Any thoughts or suggestions are most welcome.

Dave Becker