Railroad Forums 

• Dunellen Railroad Days??

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#43065  by nick11a

For those of you in the Summit, Berkeley Heights, New Providence area, local local Channel 36 on Comcast JUST played a lengthy Access New Jersey Clip featuring the Dunnellen RR days. Had a lot of great footage and info. Seems like it was from two or so years back.

#43177  by NJ Vike

OCtrainguy wrote:I haven't been to the "Railroad Day" yet. Don't think I'll be going out to Altoona for Railfest this year, so I will try to attend the festivies at Westfield and/or Dunellen.
I've seen advertising for Westfield but not Dunellen.

When is the Altoona rail fest?

#43259  by OCtrainguy

I saw a page for both Westfield and Dunellen on the NYSWTS website. I will try to go to whichever event is held. The page I saw is at http://www.nyswths.org/dunellen.htm

As far as Railfest, it is Oct. 2-3, 2004 in Altoona and at Horseshoe Curve. Usually, there is coordinating events in Gallitzin & Cresson as well.
Last edited by OCtrainguy on Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#43297  by rcbsd45

There will be no Dunellen railroad days this year account a variety of reasons, but there WILL be trips out of Westfield, NJ on the RVL on the weekend of Oct 2nd and 3rd. Advertising on the THS website is expected to be updated/corrected shortly, so stay tuned. Trip will have the 142 on the west end, and god only knows what NJT will supply the THS with onthe east end. I was the engineer on the diesel end of things last year, and we (I'm also a THS member)were given the 4209, a GP40PH-2B to use. Only thing was, it was long hood out coming east, and every time I used the horn, it went straight up the aisle of the coaches I was coupled to! At least give us a bi-directional unit(I believe one of the 4100's is still set up w/ two control stands) that has directional horns. Lets hope our luck is better this time around.....

#43300  by njt4172

rcbsd45 wrote:There will be no Dunellen railroad days this year account a variety of reasons, but there WILL be trips out of Westfield, NJ on the RVL on the weekend of Oct 2nd and 3rd. Advertising on the THS website is expected to be updated/corrected shortly, so stay tuned. Trip will have the 142 on the west end, and god only knows what NJT will supply the THS with onthe east end. I was the engineer on the diesel end of things last year, and we (I'm also a THS member)were given the 4209, a GP40PH-2B to use. Only thing was, it was long hood out coming east, and every time I used the horn, it went straight up the aisle of the coaches I was coupled to! At least give us a bi-directional unit(I believe one of the 4100's is still set up w/ two control stands) that has directional horns. Lets hope our luck is better this time around.....

rcbsd45,

There are at least 5 that have the dual control stands set up for bi-direction running....I believe they are 4100-4104 or something....Sirsonic would know more....

Steve

#43325  by nick11a

Well, no Dunellen this year huh? At least there will be Westfield though. The only bad thing is that Westfeild is high and Dunellen is low. Low platform shots make for better pictures. And Dunellen has a wider platform area due to there being more tracks there in the past. Yup, Westfeild platforms are going to be jam packed between passengers, buffs trying to get shots etc.

#43331  by NJ Vike

OCtrainguy wrote:I saw a page for both Westfield and Dunellen on the NYSWTS website. I will try to go to whichever event is held.

As far as Railfest, it is Oct. 2-3, 2004 in Altoona and at Horseshoe Curve. Usually, there is coordinating events in Gallitzin & Cresson as well.
Yes, that's the site I looked at but it didn't mention anything about Dunellen the last time I checked.

The Altoona event sounds like fun.

Ken

#43358  by rcbsd45

ah, but remember, the NJT "gestapo" will be out in force... pictures of the 142 will be permitted, but none of the NJT equipment.....wonder if the NJT police and crews on regular trains that weekend will be turning in/harassing those trackside looking to take pictures... should be interesting.....

#43387  by nick11a

rcbsd45 wrote:ah, but remember, the NJT "gestapo" will be out in force... pictures of the 142 will be permitted, but none of the NJT equipment.....wonder if the NJT police and crews on regular trains that weekend will be turning in/harassing those trackside looking to take pictures... should be interesting.....
I look forward to it. Just remember that CAN'T do anything if you are on public property. But, I would only really be after the steam engine that weekend so it wouldn't really make a difference for me.

#43498  by Sirsonic

First, there are no longer any diesels with dual control stands. They were removed in the last rebuild of these locomotives (4100-12).

Second, be aware that, as always, just becuase this is a special event does not mean that tresspassing will be permitted or tolerated by NJT. A good way to get NJT to prohibit any future trips is for irresponsible people to get caught places they should not be. If you are out there, please do yourself a favor and warn any person you see acting improperly that they should stop before they ruin it for everyone.

#43543  by nick11a

Sirsonic wrote:First, there are no longer any diesels with dual control stands. They were removed in the last rebuild of these locomotives (4100-12).

Second, be aware that, as always, just becuase this is a special event does not mean that tresspassing will be permitted or tolerated by NJT. A good way to get NJT to prohibit any future trips is for irresponsible people to get caught places they should not be. If you are out there, please do yourself a favor and warn any person you see acting improperly that they should stop before they ruin it for everyone.
Good point Sir.

#43713  by OCtrainguy

A great point indeed.

Remember, it only takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch.

#48048  by BigDell

Any new word on this?
When does 142 arrive in the area? That morning? Sooner? Where will they "hold" it?
BigDell

#48098  by njt5140

nick11a wrote:The only bad thing is that Westfeild is high and Dunellen is low. Low platform shots make for better pictures. And Dunellen has a wider platform area due to there being more tracks there in the past. Yup, Westfeild platforms are going to be jam packed between passengers, buffs trying to get shots etc.
Oh well... As a member of the T&HS crew, I will say that High level platforms may be bad for pictures, but keep in mind it's much easier for people with disabilities to board and leave the train. Plus it's easier on the crew to not have to keep opening and closing traps for the station work. If the worse case senario occurs, only people with tickets to ride or regular NJT commuters will be able to stand on platform. All others will be asked to step off. Just keep in mind it's NJT's platform and what their forces say goes.

#48233  by BigDell

Plus we can plant ourselves at various locals along the old CNJ mainline and take some nice shots. We don't have to be set in the station.
Should be great!
BigDell