Railroad Forums 

• Dual Purpose Cars?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#221788  by gramps

I am interested in Cars that can also drive on railroad tracks...is there any such thing? If so, what is it called and where can I find out more about its history?

Milton, FL Trains

#221852  by GOLDEN-ARM

Sure, "gramps", they are called highrail vehicles. Usually trucks, occasionaly cars were used, as high speed inspection vehicles, or for familiarization/qualification vehicles, for the "brass", dispatchers, etc. The LVRR used a '66 Plymouth Belvedere station wagon, for the qualifying/high speed inspection rides. Today, you will see pick-ups, vans, SUV's and even heavy duty trucks. Try a search on the www.dogpile.com search engine, under highrail vehicles, or highrail cars, and see what happens. Regards :wink:

#221899  by cifn2

I believe that UP calls them Bucking Bronco's or something to the effect, I read someplace the other day, it was used to detect washed out areas and check for track damage.