Railroad Forums 

• DS4-4-750 in Jim Thorpe

• Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.
Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.

Moderator: lumpy72

#252127  by 56-57

It belongs to Railtours, we got it last summer in trade from Reading Tech in Temple, PA.

With two Baldwin mechanics among us, and plenty of hard-working people, it's very likely we'll have it running by summers' end. That's our plan. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, we've got all the parts for it too... :)

Just wanted to let everyone know.

Micah

#252229  by GOLDEN-ARM

What did you have to give, for her? In pretty decent shape? Congrats on "snatching" one away from SMS......

#252444  by 56-57

We gave the Tech five pieces. George's three wooden RDG bunk cars, the 9110-last Blueliner out of Philly Terminal, and the milk car frame behind the turntable in Jim Thorpe. (It looks like a flat car, it's just a frame).

It looks like crap, but it's ok mechanically. Various heavy parts are in our one boxcar, but we've got all the pieces, and we'll have it together in a month or two. We also got a set of batteries from the Tech. So that's very cool...

That's about all. If you wanna see it, just walk up to the enginehouse in Thorpe, you can't miss it. Be aware tho that it's a heavy vandalism area and the police are making a point of watching out for strangers.

Take care,

Micah
 #253427  by trainspot

Hi Micah,
Thanks for your post on the Baldwin forum, otherwise I might have missed it! You should have a decent engine, once you get it fixed, Warner used it up until the mid 1980's. Its also one of 5 DS4-4-750's left.
What do you plan to paint it? If you would like to see some photos of her as Warner #14, check out our website on the Warner page.
I'll be sure to adjust the roster to show your ownership also!
Tim Darnell

The Baldwin Diesel Zone
http://yardlimit.railfan.net/baldwindie ... tents.html

#253916  by 56-57

hehe, It's gonna be cornell red with three black stripes!

tho i think for now just getting it running will keep us busy.

micah

#254497  by GOLDEN-ARM

Just a thought, 56-57. How about grey, red and yellow.............. :-D (think pre-war, LV "as delivered" colors..........) Can't wait to get up, and see her. Regards :wink:

#254551  by scottychaos

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Just a thought, 56-57. How about grey, red and yellow.............. :-D (think pre-war, LV "as delivered" colors..........) Can't wait to get up, and see her. Regards :wink:
This isnt a Baldwin (obviously), but this is the LV "Pre-War" scheme G.A. is referring to.
Most (all?) of the LV Baldwins wore this scheme when they were delivered.

Scot

p.s. was Micah serious about the LV paintscheme?
or joking?
Im honestly not sure!
 #254746  by trainspot

Remember, paint can always be changed! That is a nice scheme however, Scot! The main thing is to get it up & running FIRST!

#254747  by 56-57

Our SCm/900 #11 will be grey and yellow, and red too, someday. it'll be LV pre-war, still numbered 11 tho. that's the plan. soooo... baldwin in postwar cornell, EMC in prewar red and grey.

later,

micah

#255825  by GN 599

The demonstrator unit is in my home town behind a chainlink fence and off live rail. Hasnt ran since the mid 80's. It will probably rust away there. :(

#256663  by GOLDEN-ARM

I "heard" somewhere, that those pre-war colors are the best, for rust prevention................ :-D

#257151  by 56-57

No, I wasn't kidding about how we intend to paint the Baldwin. I laughed because this was the first time it would be mentioned on here, and I was kinda happy.

When we get paint on it is a question no one can answer right now, but we DO intend to have it running before the end of the summer.

Micah

#267398  by Mimbrogno

You mean you're gonna paint it up to be something like this?:

Or what about this?

(*Images linked from George Elwood's Fallen Flags website*)

I'd sure like to see it when it's done!

As for the mechanical part, what exactly is on the repair list? As an assistance mechanic on a Baldwin myself, I'm kinda curious about how other projects are going, and if they're any tips or tricks I can learn! Good luck with the ongoing restoration!

Matthew Imbrogno
 #267511  by trainspot

Micah,
How did you fare with the flooding? I heard Jim Thorpe mentioned.
Tim

#268174  by 56-57

i'm not directly involved with working on the baldwin. so i can't answer the question regarding 'what's wrong with it?'.. it was run in 91 in leesport, with water in the lube oil. i'll say that much.

we intend to paint it cornell red/3 black stripes... just like the pic of the 142.

the water in thorpe was pretty crazy that wednesday and thursday. the river was about 6 feet from reaching the county parking lot, not to metion the CNJ station and tracks. none of our equipment was harmed, tho the turntable filled to the top in less than 24 hours from mountainside runoff... the pump was on for 5 days straight.

that's about it for now,

micah