Railroad Forums 

• Dropping Cars.... again

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#331589  by GOLDEN-ARM

"Almost hit the nail"? When we did those things, markers weren't the type you could "shoot". They were just a metal box, with a spike on the bottom, than you stuck into the hole, on the knuckle. An air gauge was sometimes present (and less frequently, it actually worked) and a big yellow, or orange lens, covered a large bulb, that blinked occasionaly. You HAD to blow the air, manually. There was no other option, other than not making the move, like that. You gotta be able to see it, pre-2000, to know what it was like. Sure, you could shoot the marker now, unless you have an air generator, then you are racing against the fact, the brakes start applying, within seconds of closing the air supply, from the loco. There is no doubt, about the ability to make the move, with the angle cocks, if you are certain you won't be run over, while doing it. You would be fired on the spot now, if you were caught doing it. That's just how we USED to do it. Saving a few minutes now, is no longer worth it, considering the possible loss of a job. Be Safe, and Work Safely.......... :-D
 #331695  by dirty sanchez

what's it mean to shoot a marker? and blowing the air manually does what for you in this situation?

#331735  by thebigc

Being as UPRR engineer and GOLDEN ARM are always taking me to task on my moderation skills and seeing as how this thread has been completely hijacked, its going to another forum.

#331763  by GOLDEN-ARM

ME? Are you sure, "C"? Perhaps you were thinking of engineer james........ :P

#331765  by jg greenwood

thebigc wrote:Being as UPRR engineer and GOLDEN ARM are always taking me to task on my moderation skills and seeing as how this thread has been completely hijacked, its going to another forum.
What's next, Junior critiquing grammar, punctuation, capitalization, etc.? :wink: