Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#1073744  by usroadman

Planning a cross-country trip to LA on Amtrak using Guest Rewards points, and trying to figure out how to get them to route me on the Texas Eagle on the outbound and Southwest Chief on return (they want to put me on Southwest Chief both ways). My latest thought was to do the outbound as Chicago to Pomona (so hopefully that would force the Texas Eagle), then take Metrolink from there. Texas Eagle is scheduled to arrive at Pomona at 4:04 am, and first Metrolink train is at 5:15. So could end up sitting for an hour or more in the wee hours of the morning (Ontario & Pomona are discharge only stops so could even arrive before 4:00). Anyone have any feel for what the area is like? It looks like a pretty good area on Google Streetview (clean anyway) though it also looks pretty desolate. Obviously there's always a chance you'll bump into someone you don't want to, but wondering how likely it was I'd run into any problem.
 #1073751  by electricron

usroadman wrote:Planning a cross-country trip to LA on Amtrak using Guest Rewards points, and trying to figure out how to get them to route me on the Texas Eagle on the outbound and Southwest Chief on return (they want to put me on Southwest Chief both ways). My latest thought was to do the outbound as Chicago to Pomona (so hopefully that would force the Texas Eagle), then take Metrolink from there. Texas Eagle is scheduled to arrive at Pomona at 4:04 am, and first Metrolink train is at 5:15. So could end up sitting for an hour or more in the wee hours of the morning (Ontario & Pomona are discharge only stops so could even arrive before 4:00). Anyone have any feel for what the area is like? It looks like a pretty good area on Google Streetview (clean anyway) though it also looks pretty desolate. Obviously there's always a chance you'll bump into someone you don't want to, but wondering how likely it was I'd run into any problem.
If you're having trouble getting a computer to book your trip properly, try using a telephone instead.