Railroad Forums 

• Downeast Scenic Railroad (DSRX) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1440091  by shadyjay

Rode the 10:30am Downeast Scenic train on Sunday July 23. Ordered tickets in advance - wasn't necessary but by departure time, there was a really descent crowd on board, many of them were walk-up sales. Getting to the depot area is well signed. The departure point is a platform behind the old MEC station. The train consist today was 3 cars: coach 155 "McNeil Point", the open car, and coach 123. Motive power was S-4 #1055. The train first proceeded east, stopping at a few crossings in town, then continuing to Ellsworth Falls. At that point, the engine uncoupled and ran around to the opposite end of the train, then we proceeded back through the depot area to Washington Jct. What was cool was a trip around the Washington Jct wye and right to the end of track on what would have been the Calais Branch, now a rail-trail. Got to view all the equipment in the yard from on board, including the 4-6-2 #470, currently under restoration. The staff was very professional and courteous. If you're in the Ellsworth/Bar Harbor area, be sure to check it out. Until then, here's the pics from my visit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/shadyjay/ ... 727253505/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also while in Maine, I stopped by the Cole Land Transportation Museum in Bangor and the Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunk. Again, highly recommend these two as well! (pictures are also on my FLICKR page).
 #1440147  by douellet

Glad you enjoyed your ride on the Downeast Scenic RR. All of us who volunteer on the railroad appreciate your positive comments. Your photos were very nice. Also, track rehabilitation is progressing in Ellsworth Falls for the future expansion of the line headed west over the Union River.
 #1440157  by Cosmo

douellet wrote: Also, track rehabilitation is progressing in Ellsworth Falls for the future expansion of the line headed west over the Union River.
Tell me, tel me, I IMPLORE! :-D

Seriously, I've been following your progress from afar ever since I worked at ALLEN'S Blueberry Freezer overlooking the tracks.
Is there a timeline for the bridge rehab?
 #1440202  by douellet

Maybe Leverett Fernald can answer your questions regarding the Union River Bridge rehabilitation which would be the responsibility of the MDOT. A lot of work has already been done in Ellsworth Falls. A new crossing west of Sunrise Glass and a new section of track east of Sunrise Glass have been completed as part of the Route 1A project. There are also new crossing signals at the Ellsworth High School crossing. It's really nice not having to stop and flag that crossing anymore.

I worked today's first run, and we had a very nice number of passengers on board. We're really pleased by support of all the people that ride with us on the Downeast Scenic RR. Also, I want to give a shout out to all the volunteers I saw working on steam locomotive 470 in Washington Junction today.
 #1440938  by bml1149

Good evening,
Now that MDOT has completed the Route 179 intersection, they are now turning their attention on the Union River Bridge. Engineers are looking at it and are in the process of developing a scope of work. When that is completed, it will likely go out to bid. Where it is getting late in the season, actual construction may not begin until next spring. We will advise as soon as we know.
 #1466309  by douellet

Work is beginning on the Union River bridge in Ellsworth Falls. My wife saw workers at the bridge earlier in the week. Since then there has been confirmation by the DSRX that work has begun on the bridge restoration. Work is expected to take five months. If all goes as planned the railroad could put this section of the line back service later this summer. This is a major step in expanding the railroad westward toward its goal of running to Green Lake.
 #1466810  by douellet

B1538A83-3251-4F05-8A8E-04FB7EA67D08.jpeg
I was in Ellsworth today and stopped by the Ellsworth Falls railroad bridge to get a few photos. Looks like a lot of work to be done. The workers had a beautiful day to be out at the bridge.
 #1466904  by MEC407

Thanks for the photos!