Railroad Forums 

• Dover & Delaware River RR

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1585014  by CharlieL

A quick PS: according to the FRIO report issued I believe in 2019 there are no height or weight restrictions on Amboy secondary, or FIT,and only one on the southern sec (Tinton ave bridge). I'm not sure they looked at the OOS section but the 33 bypass bridge would have been built to modern standards.
 #1585019  by Bracdude181

The only trackside equipment for PTC that’s anywhere on C&D trackage is at CP BILL on the Washington Secondary, and that’s pretty much it.
 #1585046  by pdtrains

I'll just chime in with a few good things I know about the D&DR.

Right after they started operation, they undercut the main st bridge in Pburg, to permit higher cars. They installed a 2nd switch on the mostly previously unused siding along the WASS in pburg, so it could be used as a run-around as well as an interchange track. Ive heard that they added a 2nd siding track there too, but have not been back to see.

Also (and this is big if u live in the area), they removed the 40mph grade crossing circuits, which probably hadnt been changed since the 1960's or so...and put in induction activated circuits appropriate for 15 mph running. The highway flashers used to come on minutes before the train reached the crossing, which was a real problem...
 #1585102  by CJPat

CharlieL, I thought I read that the UP put PTC into the #4014 Big Boy that they restored? I would expect so since they are running on mainlines out there.

Putting PTC into #60 would be hilarious! What a great leg-puller.
 #1585116  by Bracdude181

@CJPat Indeed. Let’s bring it down the M&E line and have the PTC break at a major junction and block the line, then sit back and watch the fallout! Now THAT would be funny!!!
 #1585118  by CharlieL

CJPat wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:14 pm CharlieL, I thought I read that the UP put PTC into the #4014 Big Boy that they restored? I would expect so since they are running on mainlines out there.

Putting PTC into #60 would be hilarious! What a great leg-puller.
Apparently they did. There is a youtube of it. I was unaware.
Nonetheless it has to be a major undertaking to install on a steamer as opposed to an engine already equipped for multiple unit operation. Just the hardware necessary to control throttle and brakes, for example.
 #1585126  by CJPat

CharlieL, you are quite right about that. Conceptually, you are applying electronic digital and analog controls on a machine that is 100% mechanical that has no battery system. I am picturing the application of motors and relays to move throttles. Must be a massive undertaking for any Steam unit. The challenges are intriguing.
 #1585127  by Bracdude181

@CJPat It’s even more impressive when you consider that none of that mechanical stuff is going on with modern day equipment and they still can’t get it to work %100 correctly.

*coughNJTcough*

Was also wondering about how they got that to work. Especially the brakes. Is there some sort of electric emergency valve connected to the PTC system to stop the train in an overspeed situation? I could see the “motor moving the regulator” thing being accurate. Can’t think of another way of doing it.
 #1585410  by CR7876

Bracdude181 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:28 pm but 5304 is MIA
DRRV 5304 is in Ringoes on the BR&W with GP-9 752, SW900 915, SW1200 1202, SW1500 1567, GP-10 1856, GP-9u 1888. Stored awaiting an assignment.
 #1585411  by Bracdude181

CAD 2005 was there as of a month ago. Is it still there? Wheels had very bad flat spots when I last saw it so I’d imagine it’s there to get fixed.
 #1585417  by CR7876

Bracdude181 wrote:CAD 2005 was there as of a month ago. Is it still there?
DRRV 2005 is back on the D&D.
 #1585419  by ClearlyDiverging

A locomotive. It is irrelevant what the power on the Toys for Tots train is going to be as it is not designed for, nor does it cater to the railfans. It's a way to provide toys for children of less fortunate means so they can have a decent holiday season. What pulls the train is literally of no concern or interest to the organizers of the event, provided the locomotive performs its intended function. Your opinion of said locomotive is even less relevant to them.
 #1585421  by CR7876

Bracdude181 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:17 pm @CR7876 Would you happen to know what the power will be on the Toys for Tots train coming up?
No
 #1585422  by Bracdude181

Alright then. Thanks for the other power info. Will be seeing the Toys for Tots train on the 4th as part of what I’be got planned trip wise for December. Need to see something other than Conrail for once lol.