Railroad Forums 

• Dover & Delaware River RR

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1584881  by CharlieL

I totally agree. The whole purpose is to get the cars to the customer, and to make some profit doing so.
bracdude, you seem to only want gold-plated rails.
 #1584884  by Ken W2KB

If PTC is added, the C&D has the option of using its consolidation class freight steam locomotive No. 60. Would that not be interesting! ;-)
 #1584885  by ClearlyDiverging

Bracdude181 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:30 am @JohnFromJersey Gonna be honest with you everything I saw from this company on Wednesday has shattered any hope I had that C&D is gonna run the Southern and Freehold better than Conrail. The service in the sense of actually getting the cars to the customers was better, but that’s about it.

Almost everything else was highly rotten. Especially the engine. (C&D 2006)

PM me of you want to know more. I’ve said enough here.
Becareful what you are saying Moderator-David.
 #1584891  by Bracdude181

Really dude? Why would I have even posted that if the engine was all I cared about? Obviously there’s a lot more to running a railroad than a clean engine. If I didn’t know that then why on earth would I have ever started an account on here?
 #1584905  by ClearlyDiverging

Bracdude181 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:03 am Really dude? Why would I have even posted that if the engine was all I cared about? Obviously there’s a lot more to running a railroad than a clean engine. If I didn’t know that then why on earth would I have ever started an account on here?
Yes, really. Dude. Aside from inane observations about how you think a railroad should be run vs. how it is run, I have no idea why you started an account here and I couldn't care less as to your reasoning.
 #1584946  by JohnFromJersey

Clearly, Conrail is run by massive Class I's who don't give a f*** about smaller operations like the FIT and SOUS. Even if the engines C&D/D&D are "janky," the fact is that they still applied for a grant to fix the tracks a bit and reconnect a line, throw their own money into the pit, and offer better service to small customers Conrail turns their nose away from.

Even if the tracks still aren't that great after their repairs, it's still better than what Conrail is doing. I understand why someone would be concerned why this railroad isn't as "modern" as it could/should be, but I think for a small business, getting served by a railroad that looks "janky" and saving some bones is better than not having that option, at all! Plus we get more trains to look at.

Companies have to start somewhere, it's never all pretty looking.

And (off topic), but if we ever want to see NJT run on the FIT/SOUS, someone besides NJT/the state/CR needs to show the line some love and attention, cause clearly they aren't.
 #1584947  by JohnFromJersey

Ken W2KB wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:29 am If PTC is added, the C&D has the option of using its consolidation class freight steam locomotive No. 60. Would that not be interesting! ;-)
Could you fill me in on this? This sounds very interesting, never heard about it.
 #1584987  by R&DB

As of 11/16/2021 still no STB filing.
Beginning to think the end- of-year predictions may not be true. Or D&D have backed out.
 #1584993  by Bracdude181

@Ken W2KB Would certainly be better power than the two 2000 series GP38s. I’ve also not heard of any plan to put PTC in that engine...
 #1584999  by CharlieL

I thought PTC was only required for when operating on active NJT tracks. If D&D takes over and routes thru the FIT, would they need PTC? Oh, and I doubt we'd ever see steam on the Amboy, FIT, or Southern. Global warming, soot, and nuisance attraction dontcha know. And are any of the above equipped for PTC?
 #1585002  by Bracdude181

@CharlieL C&D 2005 and 2006 are PTC and Cab Signal equipped. 5303 and 5304 are also supposed to be PTC equipped but 5304 is MIA and 5303 only runs out of Lake Junction now. Have a hunch C&D tore the PTC out of 5300 engines and put them in the 2000 engines, but I’m unsure. Not sure why Dover and Delaware hasn’t been using the 5303 and 04 since they seem to be in far better shape than 2005 and 06.
 #1585005  by Ken W2KB

JohnFromJersey wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:50 pm
Ken W2KB wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:29 am If PTC is added, the C&D has the option of using its consolidation class freight steam locomotive No. 60. Would that not be interesting! ;-)
Could you fill me in on this? This sounds very interesting, never heard about it.
https://www.blackriverrailroad.com/steam
 #1585010  by CharlieL

It's my understanding that PTC also requires trackside equipment. Something's gotta tell the engine about speed control and switch positions besides GPS. Suspect none of the secondaries / industrial tracks we're talking about are so equipped. As far as equipping a tea kettle with PTC, has it been done before? Would think it would be a very expensive proposition, being a one-off.