Railroad Forums 

• double ender

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#95085  by bncsx

Can anyone help me identify the kind of engine I saw?
I was driving through upstate NY this past summer, and just outside of Worcester, NY (rt 4?) I saw a small collection of old trains, some boxcars and a couple of engines. One of them was the strangest engine I have ever seen! It was being restored I think, but it had a head on each end, and looked to be circa 1950s. It was also electric at one time as it had the connectors(?) mounted on each end, that touch the overhead wires.
It was NOT a trolley, it was much bigger, it was definately an engine of some kind. I was hoping someone here could identify the type, and if there are pictures of this type anywhere it would be great if included.
Thanks Guys ! :wink:
bncsx

#95203  by glennk419

GG1 was my immediate reaction as well. I believe the Leatherstocking Historical Society in Cooperstown still has at least one GG1. My guess would be that's what he saw.

bncsx,

The PRR built 139 GG1 class 2-C-C-2 electric locomotives back in the 1930's. They were the mainstay of the Pennsy's passenger, and later freight, power all the way up through PennCentral and Amtrak. The last G's operated in 1983. Dozens of them have been preserved and reside as far away as Texas. The ones I know of in New York state are in Coopersburg and Syracuse.

There are thousands of GG1 pictures across the internet. Just do a Google or Yahoo search on GG1 or Pennsylvania Railroad, you'll find more than you could ever ask for.

#95338  by Avro Arrow

Could it have been one of those old "Jets" that the New Haven used to run? I think they were called C-Liners--I might be thinking of a diesel engine.

Perhaps a Little Joe? Just throwing out ideas.

#95504  by Joe

Not a Little Joe, not in NY. There's only 2 left I think and one is at the Illinois Ry Museum (we've also got a GG1!). It was most likely a GG1, being in NY with other old equipment. BNCSX, can you confirm this?

#95814  by mp15ac

Avro Arrow wrote:Could it have been one of those old "Jets" that the New Haven used to run? I think they were called C-Liners--I might be thinking of a diesel engine.

Perhaps a Little Joe? Just throwing out ideas.
Not a "Jet." Those were New Haven class EP-5. All ten have been scrapped. C-Liners were single ended diesels built by Fairbanks-Morse. Also almost all have been scrapped.

Stuart

#96203  by bncsx

Hi Joe (and other responders)

Thanks a lot for the answers, the picture Joe inculded confirmed that the train I saw was indeed a GG1 . (still the weirdest looking Loco I ever saw! ) Does anyone out there know if these are still modelled ? (In NScale?) I thought one would look good running around the layout once in a while, or residing on a siding in the Yard. Thanks again for the answers !

Happy RR'ing !
:-)

#96241  by glennk419

Arnold Rapido makes the GG1 in N scale. If you do a Google search, you should find several dealers who carry them.

#97037  by bncsx

thanks again folks !

#97155  by chuchubob

bncsx wrote:Hi Joe (and other responders)

Thanks a lot for the answers, the picture Joe inculded confirmed that the train I saw was indeed a GG1 . (still the weirdest looking Loco I ever saw! )
The GG1 doesn't look wierd to those of us who grew up with it.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/285 ... nxOInpDqDW

The EP-5 looked wierd to me, because I saw only one, and that was through a viewfinder.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/285 ... TFrcExHPKE

Bob

#97968  by Ken W2KB

The GG1 was one of the most successful locomotive (errr motor) designs of all time. Due to its 1930's vintage it has a distinct art deco influence in its streamlined designs. Compare the look of early streamliners, such as the Zephers, and they look different than later diesel trains.