Railroad Forums 

• Does CSX still serve Ottawa, IL?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#51934  by AmtrakFan

Does CSX still serve Ottawa, IL I know in the 80's that CSX ran to Ottawa on the old RI Line and why did they buy it. When do they run the Trains out of Ottawa thru Joliet and what's the Power usually and what times do they run?

#53374  by Rockingham Racer

As of last year, it was Iowa Interstate running from Blue Island out that way. They got out of the yard to go west before the PM rush. Into BI in the AM.

#53624  by CSX ENG

Yes, CSX serves Ottawa seven days a week! The trains, J745/746 run in the middle of the night and usually will have 4 axle power such as GP15T's, GP15-1's, GP38-2's, GP40-2's and occasionally an MP15T. Every once in a while an SD40-2 will be put on this train as well! Three to five locomotives and 100+ cars is the norm.

#53698  by Rockingham Racer

How do they get there? Do they use the connection from BI Jct. on up to the old RI main?

#53736  by AmtrakFan

What's time at night they come thru because. I heard that on the Weekend's during the day is this still true? If they do what time do they run.

AmtrakFan

#53756  by CSX ENG

Indeed, they shove out of Barr Yd. to the "long track" at BI Jct., then go up "9" track to access the Rock Island. The outbound train can be seen through Blue Island between 2300-0100 and the inbound comes through Blue Island between 0500-0700.

#53862  by AmtrakFan

Thanks CSXENG.

AmtrakFan

#53920  by Rockingham Racer

No wonder I never saw the thing or heard it on the scanner. I was pressing sheets. Is Grand Trunk tower still in control there?

#54112  by AmtrakFan

What Custmores do they serve in Ottawa, IL also what times does IAIS go thru Joliet?

AmtrakFan

#75604  by IAIS_69

Wasn't it true that the EJ@E bought the line briefly before Chessie(CSX) bought over the line? Silica Sand...............they must make a fortune off the Ottawa and Utica sand plants, and there is also a J742 right? Runs to Henry to switch and feed the old BF Goodrich Plant. I remember seeing a pic my dad took of 2 EJ@E sw1500's rolling past the old pabst brewery in Peru,IL