• Does CSX pay them same no matter where you work? Need Advice

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Chico

Hey all, first post but I want to say thanks for all the info you guys have provided just from reading on here the last few months.

I currently have been talking to a recruiter for CSX who has basically told me that once the positions open up for Freight Conductor open up where I would like he will get me an interview and recommendation . So things are pretty promising for my career in rails I have decided to pursue. (Obviously I need to do well at the hiring sessions.)

I have mainly been looking for something in the south as that is where I live currently....however one place that intrigues me is Oak Point Yard in the Bronx, NY. I was born and raised in NYC and the idea of moving back with a good job and career ahead of me is very appealing, but the cost of living scares me. It is one thing to live in the south making 65k a year, and another thing to live in NYC on the same salary.

Does CSX pay more in the big apple or is it consistent across the board?

Any answers would be appreciated and if you dont have an answer I still want your 2 cents on working in the big city.
  by mmi16

T&E pay is consistent with the local contract base as it has been progressed over the years with the national contract increases. Those areas that had higher local rates, back when, will have higher rates today.

There are numerous T&E contract bases within CSX. Former ConRail, B&O, C&O, RF&P, SCL, L&N contracts are still in effect on the appropriate parts of the company.
  by Chico

mmi16 wrote:T&E pay is consistent with the local contract base as it has been progressed over the years with the national contract increases. Those areas that had higher local rates, back when, will have higher rates today.

There are numerous T&E contract bases within CSX. Former ConRail, B&O, C&O, RF&P, SCL, L&N contracts are still in effect on the appropriate parts of the company.
Very good info, helps alot. Thank you.
  by COEN77

CSX and the rail unions do on-property contract negotiations these days. Only issue that is still under the national is healthcare. It's pretty much still split up between the former railroads on the different territories. That might change after the last employees from the former railroads retire. In MOST cases anyone hired after 1994 is a CSX employee after the UTU crew consist agreements went into effect. Eventually I think they'll be one contract for all.
  by Engineer Spike

When I worked for BNSF, I was under the Burlington Route agreements. My terminal was Aurora, IL. After a year I got cut off, and moved to Galesburg. I still got the same pay, but my expenses wen down, cut to being away from Chicago. Even my auto insurance was less. Rent was between 1/3 to 1/2 less, for example.

You might be able to hire out in an expensive area, but later bid in elsewhere.