Railroad Forums 

• Does B&M have Haulage Rights to New York City?

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1313719  by Engineer Spike

I saw a post on FB about NS trying to get East of Hudson rights. This was awarded to D&H to create competition post Conrail. The D&H has since just turned the cars over to CSX. Now apparently NS wants in, in conjunction with the purchase of half of the D&H.

We had an engineer who came over from B&M, who worked extensively in Connecticut. He claimed that B&M got haulage rights from Conrail, to bring cars to New York City. I'd never heard that. Does anyone know if these rights were picked up along with the Connecticut lines?

If this is so, NS could access NY via PAS.

PS: You don't have to believe something to repeat it.
 #1313767  by TomNelligan

That's basically true historically, but it never amounted to much. Under the original early-1980s agreement between Conrail and the B&M that led to the transfer of the central Connecticut branches to the latter, the B&M also picked up rights to run intermodal traffic to New Haven (Cedar Hill) and to interchange freight with the Long Island Rail Road via Fresh Pond Junction. The New York haulage rights were for LIRR interchange only, NOT general freight traffic for New York, which CR kept for itself. The Cedar Hill intermodal rights were exercised for several years, but as far as I remember the LIRR rights never were, at least not in regular service. I assume that the B&M-LIRR link was voided at some point during the various Guilford, CR, P&W, and CSX transactions that followed.
 #1314811  by newpylong

Engineer Spike wrote:I saw a post on FB about NS trying to get East of Hudson rights. This was awarded to D&H to create competition post Conrail. The D&H has since just turned the cars over to CSX. Now apparently NS wants in, in conjunction with the purchase of half of the D&H.

We had an engineer who came over from B&M, who worked extensively in Connecticut. He claimed that B&M got haulage rights from Conrail, to bring cars to New York City. I'd never heard that. Does anyone know if these rights were picked up along with the Connecticut lines?

If this is so, NS could access NY via PAS.

PS: You don't have to believe something to repeat it.
What facebook page was this on?
 #1314877  by B&M 1227

I wouldn't read into that too much. From what I understand it isn't NS going after the trackage rights, merely interested parties suggesting they pick them up. As has been said elsewhere, NS already hits NYC from NJ.t Though NS may be more interested in playing the rail freight game than CP was, the CP trains were never very long. 100-150 carloads a week isn't really worth it when you're paying for trackage rights all the way down the Hudson. Then again if NS wants to keep CSX on their toes, things could get interesting.

https://www.facebook.com/railnewyork/ph ... =1&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.stb.dot.gov/filings/all.nsf/ ... 237562.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh... and they spelled Mechanicville wrong...