Railroad Forums 

• Dock Bridge - Passaic River

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1205029  by R36 Combine Coach

More info in dredging: this is a Federal EPA project to clean up contaminants.
One stretch of the Passaic River in Lyndhurst has high levels of PCBs, mercury and dioxin — utterly toxic and dangerous health hazards. That’s why the EPA made the cleanup project a priority.

Once the sediment is removed, treated and sent out of state, a protective cap will be placed over the 5.6-acre excavated area. All work will be done from the barges on the river to minimize impact to the park and surrounding community. Air and water quality will be monitored during the work. The $20 million cleanup project is being paid for by 70 companies considered potentially responsible for the contamination.
 #1205188  by kilroy

Two barges and three tugs went through about noon today. Saw them waiting for Dock to open and saw them going through Bridge Street but missed the opening of Dock. @^#*% work! Gets in the way of railfanning all the time.
 #1205555  by bukie2k

I thought I was seeing things a week ago Friday when I saw a tug and a barge near Kings Court. Can't recall the last time I saw any heavy equipment this far up the Passaic River. The dredge/cap project in Lyndhurst will run through December of this year. Most of the spans across the Passaic from the DeJessa Bridge between Nutley and Lyndhurst south to Newark Bay will be opening on a regular basis during off-peak hours.
 #1301093  by 25Hz

I think it will be anon-issue in terms of schedule, but what's the deal with structural integrity?
 #1301098  by snavely

There's no problem with structural integrity and they want to keep it that way. They are asking to know what the plans are to keep the dredging from damaging the bridge. This can happen if the dredge removes too much sediment from around the bridge piers, thus undermining them and leaving the bridge without support. It can also occur as a result of river current action "scouring" the base of the piers, making them unstable, which is what happened to the Boonton Line's WR bridge over the Passaic and became one of the major reasons cited for abandoning the lower section of the line from Montclair east.
 #1301441  by philipmartin

kilroy wrote:Two barges and three tugs went through about noon today. Saw them waiting for Dock to open and saw them going through Bridge Street but missed the opening of Dock. @^#*% work! Gets in the way of railfanning all the time.
They are talking about using tugs and barges that are low enough to fit under Dock without a lift.
Put a marine scanner on your desk at work and listen to Dock talking to the to the boats. While your'e at it, program in the Amtrak frequency too. The hell with work!
 #1550649  by John_Perkowski

Which is it?

Permanently closed means the property in question no longer meets needs, and will be disposed of.

Do repairs means at some point, perhaps undetermined, it will reopen. That’s temporary.

Pick one.
 #1550653  by STrRedWolf

John_Perkowski wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:02 pm Which is it?

Permanently closed means the property in question no longer meets needs, and will be disposed of.

Do repairs means at some point, perhaps undetermined, it will reopen. That’s temporary.

Pick one.
In this case, it means "It will never be raised to let ships through" (be in the closed position permamently) not "being decommissioned" (IE destroyed). It's a draw bridge, after all.
 #1550657  by ExCon90

I still think a trade publication like RT&S could have chosen better terminology--at least in the text, if not the headline. Not all readers will get it that "closed" in this context means permanently open for rail traffic.