Railroad Forums 

• DOBO / BODO

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#165843  by Quartertruck

I am looking for the route the Gravel train takes to Boston at night from Dover. Does it go thru Exeter, East Kingston, Newton ? I was in Boston on the ramp to the Tobin Bridge and saw lot's of empty cars at Boston Sand's plant yesterday.
Are they still around 40 cars a night ? I want to try to get a couple of pictures

Thanks

#165939  by CSX Conductor

First off welcome to the Railroad.net site.

Secondly, there is already another thread about New Hampshire NorthCoast operations. :wink:

GP40MC1118 is a good source for information on current operations north of Boston. :-)
 #165960  by GP40MC1118

DOBO leaves Dover and comes down the Freight Mainline to CPW-WJ (or Wilmington Jct). So, yes, they pass through Rockingham Jct, Newfields, Exeter, Plaistow, Lawrence, Andover, etc.

At Wilmington Jct, they come down the Wildcat Branch to Wilmington, then into Somerville on the New Hampshire Route mainline (Lowell main). They enter former Yard 8 at the handthrow Walnut Street crossovers. Normally, they would come in at Somerville Jct, but Guilford hasn't bothered to fix the 4th Iron between there and Walnut Street since derailment damage back in 12/01. DOBO will meander down through old Yard 8, ending up behind the MBTA's Boston Engine Terminal. At FX (near Sullivan Square),
they'll work BS&G. BODO goes the reverse route.

DOBO/BODO can operated via Reading (Western Route mainline) between CPW-WJ and Reading Jct (Sullivan Square), but this is rarely done and only allowed in emergencies.

Those cars you saw weren't empties....all still loaded as of Sunday afternoon. Also of note is the last car on the BET end of the cut: a SOO LINE 4 bay hopper with some sort of speciality mineral load. These come into Somerville via LOSA.

DOBO averages 25-35 cars of late. Not like the heady days of the Big Dig era when the Everett facility was open and DOBO ran with 40-60 cars.

Dave

#168452  by rb

Saw two SOO empties sitting with two UP reefers just south of Sullivan Sq sta today.

Is Guilford no longer running to Everett? I remember when they were keeping a 6th NHN geep on the Cambridge side of the yard to help get the sand over the Mystic.

#168487  by CSX Conductor

rb wrote:Is Guilford no longer running to Everett?
Rumors are that CSXT wants to give all of the N.E.P. to Guilford, but I stress that this is only rumor. :wink:
 #169029  by GP40MC1118

GRS is still bringing scrap loads into Everett. Several empties at FX Interlocking this aftertoon for the next SALO to take out of town.

D