Railroad Forums 

• do any train crew ever water the side of the tracks

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#259388  by bellstbarn

Maybe twenty years ago, I brought the twin sons of a friend on a rail trip from Long Island to Philly, LIRR, PATH, NJT, and Septa. I still have a photo of them with a Brilliner at Drexel Hill Junction. On Septa, we rode near the front vestibule of a MU. Someplace approaching Philadelphia, we stopped for no apparent reason under a bridge. I jumped up to look at the signal (clear), but from the side window I spotted the trickle out the door. Nowadays, of course, I belong to the age group that knows every rest stop between New York and Philly, and even along the new River Line.
Engineers can't detour to McDonald's.

#259449  by TB Diamond

Some of the old heads that I worked with many years ago mentioned that a spare brake hose worked well while on the move.

#259521  by CN_Hogger

Or you just know your territory well enough that you can tell your conductor to make sure the alertor doesn't get you while you duck into the nose to answer nature's call. Yes I know it's not legal, but I'd rather deal with that compared to answering the million questions from a trainmaster, etc. why you stopped to releive yourself. I'd rather take the risk over pi**ing into to the wind so to speak.
 #259608  by CSX-COAL HAULER

Bellsbarn,

I have stopped many a train at McDonalds to get a fresh cup of coffee and a biscuit----you may not be able to detour but you sure can stop.

#260192  by closetotracks

i have heard of some that slowed down the train and called ahead and got lunch than got on when restaurant was close enough to do it.

#260256  by GOLDEN-ARM

Most guys I know, myself included, just go out the back door, and let 'er fly, from the catwalk. The open door protects you from the wind, and from any chance of a 'back-wash" occuring........ :-D You gotta time it, so you get out just after the alertor goes off, giving you time to "work" without the distraction of flashing lights, and beeping alertors. Even in the center of town, the door also offers a degree of "privacy", for those who might be otherwise inhibited.......... :wink:

#260288  by JLJ061

Just do me a favor and not "let fly" while I'm standing next to the tracks! :P

#260350  by TB Diamond

Heard of just that happening.

#260360  by roadster

Not being ashamed of distance here but if I can hit you from the walkway of my engine, your definitely too close to the tracks. Mostly U try to hit the head before you move and normally there are the occassional stops for traffic which allow for a quick relief "job". Either off the deck or in the nose if not too bad.

#260414  by SteelWheels21

Two stories, one before I hired on, one after:

One of my jobs in my previous life was club disc jockey. When I arrived in Portland and needed a job, I found a classified ad for a gentleman's club looking for a DJ. Took a ride to the other side of town to the club to drop off a resume, and interestingly the club is by the Portland & Western main line. After I dropped my res off and was coming outside, I hear a whistle. Here comes a Geep running light, and he stops about 100 feet from where I'm parked. Sure enough, the hog and conductor tie it down and saunter into the club for "beans". I laughed my ass off, some jobs have good perks.

Fast Forward to a year later, I'm hired out on UP. Brand new marked up on the road extra board, though I'd been in the yard a while so I wasn't completely green. I'm a big guy and found it hard to squeeze my shoulders into that little door and get stuff lined up right to pee, so I'd always go out on the front porch. We're in the hole one night on the East run, right on the Columbia river, absolutely beautiful night. I needed to go, so I jumped down to the front and get situated. I was checking out the river and the stars and everything, not paying attention to the block signal at the end of the siding. Instead of meeting one, we were getting run around. I'm right in the middle of business when I feel the rumbling, see the light on the rails and WHOOSH an intermodal goes flying by at 50. Of course the wind kicked up is the equivalent of a small tsunami, needless to say that what I was letting go wasn't reaching the intended area, rather getting blown back all over me. Luckily we had a quick run the rest of the way and was able to get to the hotel and changed. I also knew a guy in the yard who was lubricating the brakes when the brake reservoir pop valve let go and drenched him with that nasty water.

#260583  by MEC407

I remember one winter day a few years ago... windy as hell, and the windchill must have been below zero... saw a brakeman standing on the front porch of the loco taking a leak. I know the onboard toilets can be nasty, but it must have been awful if he was willing to become a popsicle rather than use the hopper!

#261859  by CROR410

closetotracks wrote:i have heard of some that slowed down the train and called ahead and got lunch than got on when restaurant was close enough to do it.
Was the lunch hung on a hook or passed by a stick...like train orders were done one time? :-D