Railroad Forums 

• DO-1

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1137831  by MECFAN

DO-1 307 in Portsmouth Yard today at 11:30 hours. Just as I got there they headed up to Newington with 3 centerbeams for Boise and 1 covered hopper for Tyco, they pulled 1 empty centerbeam and 3 boxcars out of Boise. Still seven loads for Boise in Portsmouth Yard.

Edit
DO-1 307 running around his train at Rockingham 16:40 hours for his trip east.
 #1139312  by MECFAN

DO-1 348 into Portsmouth Yard 16:40 hours with 1 box, and 1 centerbeam for Boise and 2 tanks. Crew appears to be going off duty.
 #1140464  by MECFAN

DO-1 504 headed out of Rockingham for Portsmouth with 3 boxes and 2 tanks at 5:45 this morning. My buddy saw them on his way to work, I think they probably did a crew change in Portsmouth as the usual crew isn't on that early. I found them shoving the two tanks up to Sprauge in Newington around 11:00. The Boise crew was unloading 2 box and 1 centerbeam today and there were 3 loaded centerbeam and a box on the siding to get shoved up later. Still 3 loads in the yard to go to Boise. Heard DO-1 blowing for crossings in Greenland leaving town at 13:00 hours.
 #1141928  by MECFAN

DO-1 light engine into Portsmouth today 11:45 hours. They picked up the 3 loads in the yard 1 centerbeam and 2 box and went up to Boise and pulled 3 empties out. The yard in Portsmouth is now cleared out except the 6 empty centerbeams in storage. They were out at Rockingham around 16:00 to head back east.
 #1146000  by Dick H

DO-1 (maybe PH-1) going to Portsmouth today. Left Dover around 10AM
Track foreman will be riding with them. Looks like they will be plowing
their way to Portsmouth...
 #1146067  by MECFAN

DO-1 380 left Rockingham for Portsmouth at 13:40 hours with 2 loaded boxcars for Boise.
 #1149066  by MECFAN

DO-1 passing under Rte 33 at 11:10 hours today headed for Rockingham with 3 empty box cars.
 #1149557  by MECFAN

DO-1 306 in Portsmouth Yard 12:30 hours with two loaded box cars for Boise.
 #1150171  by drcrf93

DO-1 371e arrived in Brunswick Maine at 11:50 with 8 cars for Maine Eastern. Met
Maine Eastern 3573, who brought them 3 cars. DO-1 was out by 13:00, after
turning on the wye.

Information was from a friend of mine.
 #1151894  by gokeefe

drcrf93 wrote:DO-1 371e arrived in Brunswick Maine at 11:50 with 8 cars for Maine Eastern. Met
turning on the wye.

That's the first time I can ever recall a "meet" of ME and PAR for interchange purposes. Is this common/standard practice now?
 #1152381  by drcrf93

gokeefe wrote:
drcrf93 wrote:DO-1 371e arrived in Brunswick Maine at 11:50 with 8 cars for Maine Eastern. Met
turning on the wye.

That's the first time I can ever recall a "meet" of ME and PAR for interchange purposes. Is this common/standard practice now?
They had a similar meet to interchange back on Feb. 1 of this year also. Hard to say if they will continue meeting, but it wouldn't surprise me seeing as there is less space and time for freight traffic in Brunswick now with Amtrak here three times a day.
 #1152383  by drcrf93

I have seen Maine Eastern and Pan Am meet for the interchange a few other occasions before this year. it happens few and far between, but it is really cool to watch. Back in Nov. 2007 I even recall Pan Am and Maine Eastern both crossing Stanwood Street at the same time, both going opposite directions. Also recall two rolling freight meets between the companies in 2009, as well as a few in early 2008.

DO-1 seems to be the main symbol for Pan Am on the Brunswick branch. Has been since about late 2010. Often times it will be the same locomotive even that is reported in NH a few days before. They used to run almost always on Saturdays but now their pattern has gotten more sporadic with Amtrak in the picture.
 #1152384  by gokeefe

drcrf93 wrote:
gokeefe wrote:
turning on the wye.

They had a similar meet to interchange back on Feb. 1 of this year also. Hard to say if they will continue meeting, but it wouldn't surprise me seeing as there is less space and time for freight traffic in Brunswick now with Amtrak here three times a day.
I was wondering if that was part of the issue. Hard to imagine Brunswick as "too busy" to allow for a lowly interchange by what basically are two local jobs. But!, that's the new reality, which will only get more complicated as service continues to expand.
 #1152499  by newpylong

Meets are fairly common between Pan Am and the shortlines because often times the shortline is waiting for their cars and their crews have nothing to do without them. Pan Am will call and say they are coming and the shortline will come down to interchange with them. it also facilitates interchange because neither crew needs to tie their train down, they can usually just swap trains and go on their way. It happens on the BKRR, the VTR, etc
 #1152501  by gokeefe

newpylong wrote:Meets are fairly common between Pan Am and the shortlines because often times the shortline is waiting for their cars and their crews have nothing to do without them. Pan Am will call and say they are coming and the shortline will come down to interchange with them. it also facilitates interchange because neither crew needs to tie their train down, they can usually just swap trains and go on their way. It happens on the BKRR, the VTR, etc
This would also help explain why the freight interchange track was completely empty the last time that I went through Brunswick.