Railroad Forums 

• DL shop

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

#101  by alcodoc2

What's the next Alco shall we pull next out of the dead line for overhaul? The former Monon C420 will be released from the shop in the next couple of weeks. Will will pick one of the locomotives in storage for repair..............Any comments? John? Dave? Or Mike? :lol:
 #107  by F&C104

I'm not John, Dave or Mike. But that's easy ... 4118.

F&C 104
 #112  by Guest

Great answer.......That would be my second choice!
 #114  by alcodoc2

Help! I'm registered as plain old alcodoc, but I keep showing up as a guest! I guess I'll have to be alcodoc 2 now!
 #116  by F&C104

Actually I was a bit hasty. There's the 134 and 204 to consider :-)

And I forget the Rdg 467.... (It won't even need painting!)

So many locomotives, so little time...

F&C 104
 #124  by alcodoc

That's funny! I don't think the 134 or the 204 are going to make it. The 204's engine is slated to be installed in,.... guess what, ...this summer. The 4118! Unless someone comes up with a good 244 with a 581 generator! hehehehehehehehe! Any more comments?

And yes.......So much to do......2452....804.......806......4118.......no time!
 #128  by F&C104

I sort of figured that re the 204 and 134. :( (I could always hope..)

What all does the Rdg 467 need done?

F&C 104

#130  by alcodoc

Ah yes. I forgot the 467........she really is close on the radar screen. The 467 mostly needs cab and compliance work. I know there is some concern over crankshaft health, but that will require further inspection and testing.....A pretty cool engine though.

#135  by F&C104

That's good news! :lol:

Will the Rdg 467 mu with the other D-L units ok?

F&C 104
 #136  by Alcoman

Hey Alcodoc2,
How about repainting some of the power you guys have running? May I suggest 1044 in Corporate colors....I know Mike would love that! ...OR how about 310?
As far as the next engine to rebuild, I suggest 351.

Alcoman
 #141  by alcodoc

Alcoman wrote:Hey Alcodoc2,
How about repainting some of the power you guys have running? May I suggest 1044 in Corporate colors....I know Mike would love that! ...OR how about 310?
As far as the next engine to rebuild, I suggest 351.

Alcoman
John, The 310 is next to be painted. And yes, the 467 will MU with all the other units...no problem. Right now I have other mechanical work on some of the C425s. I would like to put them all back in service this year. They were Alco's best locomtive......really! I wish I had 20 of them!

#158  by nessman

Bring the two RS-11's back to life - 351 and 3603!

#172  by ATK

Alcodoc:

Have you guys pulled the old engine out of the 4118 yet? If so (or when you do), are you planning on tearing down that engine and/or stripping it for parts? (the 244 engine, not locomotive)

You mention concerns over the integrity of the 467's crankshaft. Can you be more specific as to what those concerns are?

Regards,
- ATK

#390  by alcodoc

ATK wrote:Alcodoc:

Have you guys pulled the old engine out of the 4118 yet? If so (or when you do), are you planning on tearing down that engine and/or stripping it for parts? (the 244 engine, not locomotive)

You mention concerns over the integrity of the 467's crankshaft. Can you be more specific as to what those concerns are?

Regards,
- ATK
We will pull the old engine out of the 4118 sometime this summer. We will strip the 244 for parts. Many new parts were installed while under overhaul in 2000. All of the pistons and most of the liners and rods are new. The prime mover did not suffer a catastrophic failure. the crankshaft was damaged because of an overspeed due to an electrical malfunction.

The 467 has been reported to be rough on a couple of rod bearings. Not sure why. Close inspection doesn't really show there is a problem. The associated connecting rods are suspect however. Pulling the power pack and checking the rods for specs is next.
 #441  by F&C104

How's the block in the 134? What all's wrong with the engine overall?

Does the 2452 need a generator? Will be nice to see it back in service.

What ails the 804? (It seemed to be fine the last time I saw it. What did Mike do to it?)

Is the 351 just for parts or could it see service someday?

Re paint, agreed, the 310 is in need the most. (Though I've not see the 327 since it entered service...) 1044 doesn't look so bad really!

Hope the 334 stays around Scranton. It is a "D-L" engine right?

F&C 104