• DL&W Tower to be Rebuilt in Hoboken

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Scott Schnipper

From the Jersey Journal (Jersey City, NJ) of Dec. 18, 2004:

"Hoboken Mayor David Roberts cringes whenever he sees yet another story about the Clam Broth House being torn down. The removal of the landmark is like a series of body blows that say, `It's your fault mayor.' Is it just some form of mayoral paranoia?

Roberts and the Mile Square City can at least can look forward to the rebuilding of the 225-foot tall clock tower at the historic rail terminal. NJ Transit Executive Director George Warrington has managed to find $8 million to get the structure built. A groundbreaking for the project is expected next year."

by Lackawanna484

I wonder what kind of tower they'll get for $8mn? It doesn't sound like much money for a 20 story building.

Other issue. Clam Broth House will prob be replaced by a nice, new shiny office building. Paying hundreds of thousands in taxes. Lots more than the CBH paid.

by gravelyfan

I think they are talking about replicating the clock tower that used to stand at Hoboken Terminal.

by Lackawanna484

gravelyfan wrote:I think they are talking about replicating the clock tower that used to stand at Hoboken Terminal.
yes

by Notch 8

Funny how $8 million is available for clock towers but Tranist is flat broke when the subjects of overtime, new job assighnments, and contract negotiations come around. Perhaps Warrington could sell the stainless steel weeds in Allied Jct. on ebay to pay for the tower instead.

by RS115

Not to start a fire-storm but merely to point out an accounting truism - you're talking two differant colors of money - capital expense (i.e. bonding or similar with long term payback) versus operating expense (i.e. it's pretty much gotta be money in the bank_
  by DonPevsner

I ate there several years ago, and the food was terrible. No loss
to anyone.

by Uzi-Cat

8 Million = 1 million for construction + 7 million for art. Hopefully, the tower will be set to NJ Transit standard time and we can set our watches to that. Right now, I have several different times to chose from depending where I am at any given time.

Scott

by Lackawanna484

wpdj61 wrote:8 Million = 1 million for construction + 7 million for art. Hopefully, the tower will be set to NJ Transit standard time and we can set our watches to that. Right now, I have several different times to chose from depending where I am at any given time.

Scott
Doesn't NJT have an "official time" determined at a single location? Back in the olden days, conductors had to set their watches at the start of each shift, have them checked annually at an official jeweler / watchmaker. Each sign up office had an "official clock" set to tell official time. Thousands of old photos show the conductor and hogger "checking the time" prior to the run.

Wonder how you set a watch or clock tower to "Shirley Time"?
  by Lackawanna484

DonPevsner wrote:I ate there several years ago, and the food was terrible. No loss
to anyone.

Back in the 1970s, Clam Broth House had a brief stand of heroism (or notoriety) as one of the last places in the NY area to ban women from the bar area. Only men went there. Real men. Working men. Railroad men, longshore men. Marlon Brando would fit in, fine, back in Waterfront days.

The place was a dump, with peanut , clam, and oyster shells on the floor, a week's worth of cigarette butts in the trays, the smell of stale beer, etc. Why any woman would actually want to go there was a serious question.

After a few days of protests, and inspections from the board of health, and the alcohol inspectors (I didn't know Hoboken had either) and a blizzard of summonses, they allowed women in. After the news crews and TV crews left, so did the women.

Agree on the food as bad. They've been trading on their rep since the 1960s, as least. Maybe it was never any good.

by Uzi-Cat

NJT does have oficial time but that is subject to where you are. The rule is that you set your watch to the clock where you sign up. I have found that Dover's clock is about a minute and a half ahead of NY. Secaucus is about 30 seconds ahead of NY. I am not sure about other locations. I am sure it varies. Who knows what the clock tower will be set to.

Scott

by Jtgshu

The time consistancy is a joke at NJT.....in the SI book (or is it Norac) it states that are watches and railroad clocks are to be set to Atomic time and all others compared.

I set my watch myself to atomic time by going to a website, but I have called the dispatcher to see what time they have. But no matter what my watch might say, if there is a clock at the station, (SEC adn NWK, for example) especially a digital one, I wil NOT move the train unless that clock states the leaving time. (unless that time is way off) because thats just asking for trouble!

By the way, in case anyone didn't know, the times in teh public schedules are LEAVING TIMES, NOT arrival times!!!!!!!!!!!