Railroad Forums 

• DL&W Main Line Alignment

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#698687  by transit man

Using Google Earth, I'm attempting to identify the right of way for the former DL&W main line in western New Jersey. Leaving Washington northbound, I can identify the routing for about a mile or two parallel to highway 31. After crossing the Delaware River bridge, the right of way can be identified southbound along highway 46 to Manunka Chunk. A DL&W system map shows stations at Bridgeville and Oxford Furnace so I'm assuming the right of way was in the vicinity of highways 31 and 46. Can someone provide additional information regarding the location of the alignment, and if possible, street locations where the Bridgeville and Oxford Furnace stations were located.
 #702368  by transit man

Thanks timz for the response. The map provides some information regarding my question, however do you have access to and if so, could you post the "panel" to the east of the map. That would shown the alignment along NJ Highway 31. Thanks!!
 #702710  by timz

As it happens the adjoining map is much older-- 1900 or some such thing. So AFAIK you can't find online maps that answer your question (tho you might try rooting around on the Rutgers site).

I'll bet the 1950s topos would do you pretty well, but you'd have to settle for paper copies of them. (The copies are fine, just as good as the originals, but they're not free.)
 #703682  by NYS&W142Fan

Hi Transit Man,
I can try to answer your questions as best as I can. Coming North out of Washington, the Main alignment goes under Rt 31 through a tunnel through the mountain just south of Oxford, (Van Nest Gap). If you are coming North on Rt 31 and heading down the hill, when you get to the bottom of the Hill at the traffic light, and then head North on 31, on your right will be the Post Office. If memory servies behind and to the North a bit more, 1/4 mile or so, was where the Oxford Furnace Station was. It then continued North and wound along the hill and curving West to come out just South of the Pequest River near Pequest Furnace Road and Rt 46. It continued West paralling the L&HR till just before the intersection of Rt 46 and Rt 31, where it curved North and crossed the L&HR, the Pequest River and then Rt46 on a concrete arch bridge, (Rt 46 portion Now gone), where it curved West again. (Town of Buttsville) The portion where it crosses the L&HR and Pequest River is still intact and can be seen from the Rt 31 bridge where it croses the Pequest River, or from Rt 46 heading West just before the intersection with Rt 31. This is a crossing of a Rail over Rail over the river. From Buttsville it continued Westerly. If you go Rt 46 West until you intersect with County Rt 519, turn right on 519 and go about 1/2 to 2/3 mile North, on your left after the ball/soccer fields, there is a I think a Plumbing supply place. In addition on the right is a Oil supply yard. Right there the Old Main crossed and the Bridgeville Station was there on the left about a hundred feet West. It is my understanding that the original Station is still there, it was incorporated into another building. From there it went West till it went through the Manunka Chunk tunnels to connect with the BelDel and then paralled Rt 46 until it crossed the Delaware River at Delaware NJ. The Bridge is still intact across the Deleware River. I hope this helps you.
Last edited by NYS&W142Fan on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #704110  by transit man

Hello NYS&W142Fan:

A million thanks for that extremely detailed response to my post. I'll use the information to help me track the alignment on Google Earth and save it for my next trip back to New Jersey!!!
 #704189  by NYS&W142Fan

Hello Transit Man,
If you can find a copy of a hardbound book, The Lackawanna Railroad in Northwest New Jersey, copyright 1987 by Larry Lowenthal and William T. Greenberg Jr. ISBN 0-9607444-2-8, it has all the routes of the DL&W plus the other lines it connected with. It also has pictures and drawings. If you get a chance to look at it or purchase it, it will fill in a number of blanks for you and give you ideas where a lot of stuff was.