Railroad Forums 

• DL&W depot in Atlanta, NY

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1579013  by SST

For many reasons, I'm getting bored and thought I'd take a road trip and Atlanta showed up on the map. Never been there and I can see via google there isn't a whole lot there except the depot. I noticed that tracks appear to be still in the ground. I also see Bath and Hammondsport listed in Existing Railroads Stations. Anybody know if this is still active? Any guess of time of day a train might pass through?
 #1579025  by lvrr325

Looks like the one customer at the end of the line (Gunlocke in Wayland) is not getting rail service, so no trains here.
 #1579034  by SST

I was just poking around with google again and I see that street view shows the track stops there in Wayland. Maybe I'll just drive down anyways and make a stop at the Curtis Wright Museum just north of Bath.
 #1579035  by Matt Langworthy

Are you referring to the B&H station in Hammondsport? If so, it still stands. Part of the station is used by the police dept and the rest of it is used as changing rooms for the public beach.
 #1579039  by SST

Well, I first noticed the depot in Atlanta. When I googled the route from dansville to Atlanta I noticed Wayland which street view shows Gunlocke and the depot. The Bath and Hammondport trackage stops at the depot from street view point of view. So I’ll likely travel from Dansville to Wayland to Atlanta then south and make my way to The airplane museum and eventually to Bath.
 #1579098  by SST

I had just picked Atlanta on a random basis. Hmmmm, what's there. When I zoomed in via Google Sat, that's when I "discovered" the ROW and the depot. It shows on the map that it is a DL&W depot. Not finding any info on it, that's when I checked your site and then learned Bath and Hammondsport may pass by. Then I see the other depots listed along the same stretch of track, which then made the run more interesting. I'm not really familiar with the DL&W beyond Lancaster, NY so this should be fun.

Not sure when I'll be departing but I'll post back here when I do. Cooler weather would be nice.
 #1580168  by SST

Today I decided to get out of the house and make my way to Atlanta. I started out at Cohocton and noticed the B&H operation. The equipment on the property hasn’t moved in awhile as it matches google street view. The rails aren’t severely corroded and it appears there is some movement. The whole line up to Wayland is jointed and it must have been slow.

I then headed up Atlanta Back Rd. As I stopped in the rail crossing I could see tank cars sitting on a curve between me and cohocton. Rails still didn’t look abandoned but under used for sure.

This picture is the line crossing Atlanta Back Rd at Atlanta looking north.

There isn’t much here. A court house a restaurant(actually looks nice), depot and a few houses.

I then headed out 36w to Sawdust Rd and stopped where the track crosses. Maybe a mile or so east of Gunlocke. To me they looked used although not much.

Looking towards Gunlocke.

Looking towards Atlanta (couple miles).

Up close of track.

This image is just before entering Gunlocke. This pretty much says no train traffic. No rail cars on the property.

The depot on the other end. Inside looks like storage.

After that I went to Dansville and snacked at the airport parking lot reminiscing about when I’d fly there instead of driving.
 #1580190  by SST

My big mistake was not taking Wilcox Street north out of Cohocton where the depot is and the track into Liquid Products. Probably would have caught some activity.
https://liquidproducts.net/ Has some aerial photos of the property with rail cars in view. Maybe the tank cars that I saw from Atlanta Back Rd on the other set of rails were waiting for use here.

The restaurant in Atlanta looks pretty nice. When I head back down to Hammondsport, I'll make my way back here for dinner. It was closed when I was there yesterday afternoon but it looks nice enough to try it out. The name is Mountain View Inn and sits along the tracks near the depot. To bad there isn't a train here anymore as you'd get a good look. They must have updated the restaurant with a new deck outside as it doesn't show up on google Sat.

While making my way through Wayland and drove around town looking for the ROW that passes through the middle of it [Erie?]. Here is a street view showing the churches big Maple tree sitting pretty much in the middle of the ROW.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5688276 ... 6656?hl=en

An interesting adventure.......I'll be back.
 #1580403  by lvrr325

Most of this line is the former DL&W mainline to Buffalo, which ceased to be a through route in the early 1960s. It uses or connects to a few sections of the former Erie which paralleled the line before swinging north toward Rochester.

It also connects to the original Bath & Hammondsport line, some of which is still in service. WNY&P/LA&L operates it as the B&H, who was made designated operator of the line after Conrail came to be.
 #1581122  by Fireman43

SST. your post about Atlanta jarred my memory that after my one trip through Atlanta a few years ago I came across this website all about the depot. Pretty interesting.

https://fordguru.wixsite.com/photography-blog

I had posted after that trip about a concrete embankment I saw in that area that appeared to be from a bridge over the RR and had received some replies but now I can t find that post that would have the answers !
Anyone have a better memory than I?
Mark
 #1581140  by SST

I saw that too as I drove into town. Based on its physical form I naturally thought it was for a single RR bridge. As I watched for both RR ROW's I began to think it was for auto traffic but there was no other signs of where it went. The bridge to no where? Eventually I thought it was just a retaining wall holding up the hill behind it. After looking at Google Sat, I couldn't find anything obvious like a ROW or a road behind it.

Nice website and pics. Am I to assume that the concrete pad behind me when I took my pics of the DL&W station was the Erie RR station?
 #1582635  by SST

I went to Hammondsport yesterday to follow up on the previous trip. Stopped at the aviation museum which is a collection of many things not just planes. At the museum was a caboose painted Bath and Hammondsport.

Interesting artifacts inside. Basically MOW tools. Doorway view.

After that I headed back to Cohocton to drive up Wilcox to get a view. The depot needs some work. There is a deep gouge in the eve. Something big must have hit it. Further up I catch the colors of Amtrak. I pull in to get a view.

There were only 2 rail cars on the property plus Amtrak. Looking at the rails it’s sitting on it’s been there for awhile.

After that I headed up to Atlanta and photographed the strange retaining wall that looks ready for a bridge.

Then stopped at the Mountain View Inn for dinner in Atlanta. I really liked this place loved the atmosphere. Food was very good. It must be, it was busy from young kids to elderly grandparents. If your ever in the area try it out. It’s worth it.
 #1582636  by SST

BTW-I noticed that there are several areas where the B&H rails are still in place. But in all areas that I crossed over them they were either removed and/or paved over.
 #1582694  by charlie6017

I believe that was an abutment in Atlanta that once held a bridge that carried the old Erie branch line over the Lackawanna.