• DL&W 565 progress report--2012

  • Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

  by afboone
Well another year working on the 565. We are moving in the right direction and should have the pilot under her by summer! The pilot has been the most difficult part so far. With so much missing we have been making many parts and it's a big learning curve for us. The shop employees have been great with showing us the machinery and we can now make stuff ourselves. Of course they still keep a watchful eye on things so nobody gets hurt.

Feb 16 Workday:
Great workday yesterday! We completed repair on the Crosstie brace for the radius arm. Bruce and DJ finished milling the hole to the correct size and installed the bushings. It's ready to be installed into the engine. We will fit it next visit and then need to make custom bolts to install it.
Mike, Jeremy and Brendan made the bushing for the center pin that needs to be installed in the frame for the pilot truck. It was made from raw stock of 12" round and about 9" inches thick.
Nic finished welding up the radius arm. Nice work there can't even tell where the crack was.
I added the shims to the journal boxes to fit the frame. 1 is done and the other needs one more shim attached. I need to make a thinner shim to make up some of the gap but everything is going very well. That's all for now.
  by afboone
We were up this weekend and we got one of the pilot journal brasses fitted. We also started on the other one. We temp installed the crosstie bracket so we can taper the holes and make new bolts.
  by afboone
June 2012 We had our first weekend work in a few months. We finished machining the brass to fit and started on the second one. Getting a good feel for the milling machines and setting them up. Also we temp installed the crosstie bracket back in the frame so we can taper the holes amd make new bolts for that.

A young railfan, Doug, has been working on the CAD drawings for the crossheads and is putting the final touches on them so we can re-produe them. Stay tuned for that!
  by afboone
Thursday work day. We got the grease boxes welded up and the pins made for it. Nic is having too much fun with the welding! I finished up the last of the journal brass and milled the top part of the journal box out to accept the springs. Nic has some pics of the final product. We are getting closer to putting the pilot together. Next month I would like to have 2 work sessions and maybe just maybe we can do an initial fit of the pilot truck parts. if we get enough folks up to help we can knock this out. Let me know if you are interested in next month. Thanks
  by afboone
Gentlemen, Here is what we have left to do on the pilot truck

One pilot wheel journal box needs to have the top milled out to accept the springs Center pin needs to be made up.
We have to assemble the upper part of the pilot but we have all the parts.
The #1 driver springs are ready to be strapped and one strap is made. We will continue to finish this up.
We have to make one set of shoes and wedges for the #1 journal box. Can't really make them until the driver is down.
The radius arm for the pilot truck needs to have the hole fixed where it attaches to the frame.
The bushing for the center pin needs to have the holes drilled for the bolts to hold it in place The crosstie frame piece where the pilot truck attaches needs to be bolted up.
Mill the brass journals smooth.

I know it's been a long time but we are getting there. With working only once a month you can only get so much done. Thanks.
  by afboone
Here is the journal box, brass, grease box, spring and pins. It's been a long time coming!
  by afboone
Sunday Sep 9 workday.
Very Productive day yesterday! Pete and J.T. cut the pilot truck springs down to fit, did the final fitting of the journal boxes and then Dan started to final fit the oil wells down for the journal boxes. Matt worked on cleaning up the #1 driver journal boxes, sanded and polished the brass. Ken and I worked on taper reaming the bolt holes for the cross tie bracket where the radius arm connects to the frame. Stay tuned for the date when we plan on installing the pilot truck!!!!!!!!!!!
  by afboone
Pics of the first assy of the pilot truck.