Railroad Forums 

• DL&W 1888 Timetable - Rochester?

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#650676  by FarmallBob

nydepot wrote:I see what you are talking about. The times are correct. Rochester is bold and Buffalo is bold.Makes it seem like a train head to Rochester and gets there at 11:10 and is done. A second train routing to Mt. Morris-R&P-East Buffalo-Buffalo.
Charles - makes sense now!
nydepot wrote: Now I'm thinking Erie. Erie train to Rochester or if you are continuing to Buffalo, the Erie to Avon and then to Batavia and the NYC to Buffalo.
Those routings seem the most plausible at this point...

Bob
 #651240  by ExCon90

FWIW:

The Feb. 1886 Official Guide shows the DL&W (schedule effective Jan. 11, 1886) running through to Buffalo with stations at Dansville, Mount Morris, Roch. & Pitts. Junc., and East Buffalo. The BR&P schedule effective Jan. 4, 1886, shows the same crossing of the DL&W as D. L. & W. Junc. However, there is no mention of Rochester in the DL&W schedule of Jan. 1886.
 #651246  by nydepot

So that solves that. R&P is Rochester & Pittsburgh, which would refer to the current B&O/DL&W Junction where the DL&W crossed the B&O. Thanks for clearing that up.

Charles
 #651430  by erie2521

I think the time that is "out of order" is the one for Rochester. If you look at the rest of them, they look like a normal sequence on the Lackawanna if, in fact, R&P jct. means what we know as BR&P Jct. I have a 1893 Official Guide in the garage and now that it is a little more springlike, I'll go dig it out to check the Lackawanna times.
Secondly, from an 1889 NYC&HRRR timetable, the best time they made between Rochester and Buffalo was a little under two hours, not 35 minutes (11:10AM - 11:45AM). My guess is that the schedule is for a regular Lackawanna train and the time for Rochester was a connection on the Pennsy. I believe the two had an interlocking in Mt. Morris. I'll check the O.G. and report back. Ted
 #653511  by s4ny

The October 1890 timetable in Tabor's book (p 265) shows thru service to Buffalo and
train #9 is a local making all stops from Binghamton to Buffalo. It leaves Dansville at
8:47 AM...Mt. Morris 9:13 AM........Rochester and Pittsburg Junc (sic) 9:44 AM....East
Buffalo 11:05 AM...Buffalo 11:20 AM.

Tabor states that thru service from Hoboken to Buffalo was initiated in May 1883.
In May 1885 Buffalo had a new station for the DL&W.

The timetable from 1888 must be a connection and probably should read:
Dansville 9:00 AM
Mt. Morris 9:28 AM
...connection for Rochester arr 11:10 AM (Pennsy or Erie)
Pittsburg and Rochester Jct 10:12 AM
East Buffalo 11:30 AM
Buffalo 11:45 AM

I might add that with an open track a handcar could probably make the 16 miles from Dansville to Mt.Morris
in the 28 minutes.
 #653602  by erie2521

"I might add that with an open track a handcar could probably make the 16 miles from Dansville to Mt.Morris
in the 28 minutes."
It is quite possible that they made a pit stop in Groveland.
 #653758  by JimBoylan

Could the extra time be to allow dropping a Rochester coach? The arrival time at Mr. Morris might not be shown, just the departure of the Buffalo section?