Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #1204193  by ericr

I'm trying to understand how dispatching was done (let's say right before the Penn Central merger), specifically what people were involved, what they did, and who they reported to.

First off, I'm aware of Train Dispatchers, Train Directors, Block Operators, and Levermen. Were there any other jobs?

From what I understand Train Dispatchers were centrally located and told Train Directors out in the towers what to generally do. The Train Directors would get the Leverman to do whatever needed to be done with the interlocking machine. Is there cases of smaller towers not having Levermen and the Train Director just doing it themselves.

Block Operators would hand paperwork to the crews. Did they preform any other duties?

I know CTC came later, what were the person who worked the CTC machine in the towers called? I'm assuming they still reported to the Train Dispatcher.

Lastly, does anyone know of any book I can pick up to learn more about how dispatching (and signaling) was done? My knowledge is a bit fragmented and I'd like to fill in the blanks.
 #1204550  by ExCon90

In general, train directors and levermen were found at busier locations, dividing the functions performed by block operators at most towers. In the typical tower the block operator received instructions from the dispatcher and did everything necessary at his location, which could include lining routes and clearing signals, copying orders and handing them up to the engineer and conductor (as well as the engineer of the helper, if there was one), and retrieving the order hoop or fork after the orders were delivered. (This required either one or two trips downstairs: if order hoops were used, to stand there with 2 or 3 hoops as the train went by, thereafter retrieving the discarded hoops from the weeds (maybe leaving the retrieval until later if the phone was ringing upstairs or another move was imminent; if a post was provided for order forks, he could go back upstairs after placing the forks in the brackets, going downstairs again sometime after the train passed to get the empty forks.) At the same time he had to record all train times on his block record as well as reporting them to the dispatcher. A busier tower might require a train director and a leverman to split the workload. At "A" tower in New York Penn Station there were 2 train directors and 2 levermen. One train director would make the decisions and call out the routes to the levermen, each of whom worked one half of the machine. Both had to know what switches and signals were involved in any route called out, with no time to think about it -- reactions had to be immediate, and each leverman would move the levers on his portion of the machine. The other train director would note all times and any other information on the block record, and after 4 hours would swap positions with the other train director -- their function was considered to stressful to maintain for more than 4 hours at a time. I think the train directors also directed movements at the other 3 towers in Penn Station. (There was also at least one signal maintainer on duty continuously -- no time to send for one if there was a problem.)

In the beginning cTc was a registered trademark of the General Railway Signal Co. of Rochester, NY; the PRR bought most of their signal equipment from Union Switch & Signal, on line at Swissvale, PA, and referred to the practice as operation of trains by signal indication, with remote controlled interlockings, and the areas they controlled were referred to as Rule 261 territory. The job titles didn't change, and I believe there was a provision in the labor agreement that dispatchers could not operate the machines -- they still had to issue instructions to the operators. As a result the machines were mostly placed in the existing towers, with some consolidation of neighboring interlockings at one location, but no large-scale "control centers" as found on other railroads.

Simmons-Boardman published a paperbound book quite a few years ago called Railroad Operations and Railway Signaling, which contains some information that might be useful, and it was published at a time when that type of operation was prevalent. A more recent book, called The Railroad -- What It Is, What It Does, I think also published by Simmons-Boardman, may also be helpful. I don't know whether either of them is still in print, but copies may be available on the internet.
 #1204555  by Freddy

Amazon has both available. Railroad Operation and Railway Signaling was issued to me when I started signal school, in the late 80s.
 #1204587  by mitch kennedy

Zoo also had for 2 tricks w/2 train directors (hourly, BRAC jobs) and 3 leverman. One director and leverman on 3rd trick til the late 70's . I posted at Arsenal and Zoo back then as a summer intern. The CTC machines went in to the towers starting in the 30's on a grand scale concurrent with electrification in a lot of cases. The C&PD (Port Road) line, A&S, Trenton cutoff and P&T branch are all good examples, controlled by Cola, Park, Thorn, etc....Subsidiaries PRSL and Long Island did likewise (Woodbury, Brown and Winslow). On the Rdg, CTC after WW2 went into the towers, as well, with the tower personnel having jurisdiction (no orders in 261 territory if on timetable authority, the signal being authority to occupy the track. Rdg had GRS equipt like the B&O but the rule book and signal rules were pretty close to PRR/PC save for the manual block end of things, all of which, with some EL influence became present day NORAC rules (except for Form D's and some modernizing.), on a VERY broad, general scale....
 #1206962  by 2nd trick op

You could write a small book on this subject and, while an Employees" Timetable and Book of Rules will provide the groundwork, you have to see the system in operation to fully understand and appreciate it. I'll try to fill in a few more gaps, and would appreciate any clarification from other posters.

Pennsy Employee Timetables (ETT's) from roughly 1945 on provided a list of stations and the facilities for traffic control at each one; these could be an Interlocking (plant) -- remote controlled or manned, an Interlocking Station (a point from which interlocking plants were operated, not necessarily with a plant on-site), a Block Station, which controlled the entrance to blocks of track, and a Block-Limit Station (more on these later).

The typical "stand-alone" tower was classified as an Interlocking, Interlocking Station and Block Station. Some, such as SF in Sunbury and AD in Olean, NY, were operated by foreign roads and had no train-order authority; hence, were not designated Block Stations,

Most towers were operated by one employee, who served as both Operator and Leverman, but the responsibility for operation of the plant was always secondary to the responsibility for issuing Train Orders and controlling access to the blocks governed,

You have to go a long way back to find PRR ETT's geared to the "standard" system of classifying trains as First, Second, or Third Class and assigning "rights" to track for specified times and fixed meeting points. PRR granted such authority only to scheduled passenger moves, and these overwhelmingly operated in multiple-track territory where signal indication was usually sufficient. All freights "officially" operated as extras, and train orders referred to them as such by engine road number, but freight moves were always listed on train sheets by their symbols.

Block-Limit Stations were formerly called Unattended Block Stations, and evolved in the 1930's -- according to some sources the Pottsville-Philadelphia Schuylkill Branch was the first line in which these were used. Essentially, no train could pass a Block-Limit station and enter the next block without permission from the operator at an open Block Station assigned to control it. Unfortunately, I never saw much of this, so cannot vouch as to how that authority was conveyed.

When the Penn Central was formed, the first ETT''s attempted to convert the ETT specifications for former NYC lines to the former PRR format made for some interesting comparisons. Lehigh Valley began using this format when it came under PRR control in, I believe, the 1940's, but I don't have any evidence that it was imposed on the "old" N&W or Wabash, also in the PRR's "sphere of influence" at one time.

I would be delighted to hear from anyone who can elaborate on any matter touched upon so far, particularly with regard to the systems previously used.
 #1208340  by NJWG

There is alot involved in dispatching, especially for the Pennsy which often developed the technologies used by many other lines. My father once worked in 30th street station for the dispatchers office as well as the coach yard which I believe was 37th st. He was partially responsible for calling up consists for the many passenger trains. Based on the ticket sales and passenger counts he would call for a particular train to have an extra coach or sleeper or whatever was needed.
He would also call for additional power if the train was unusually heavy. Moving that many trains kept alot of folks busy.