Railroad Forums 

• Digital,film ?

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#168657  by MEC407

The best choice for scanning 135 and 120 film at home would be the Nikon Coolscan 9000. The high-end Epson flatbeds are pretty good, but they don't come close to the detail and dynamic range of the film-only Nikons.

#168893  by Don31

MEC407 wrote:The best choice for scanning 135 and 120 film at home would be the Nikon Coolscan 9000. The high-end Epson flatbeds are pretty good, but they don't come close to the detail and dynamic range of the film-only Nikons.
I'll check it out. Thanks MEC407!

#172425  by trainiac

While I have tried digital, I prefer film for the better shadow and highlight detail and easier-to-correct exposure. I like digital for the practicality and instant results, but I don't mind waiting for film.

I bought a Chinon Genesis GS-7 automatic SLR a couple of years ago from a friend for $100 CDN and an HP S20 film scanner on eBay for $180 CDN, and when the film is scanned it's roughly equivalent to the result from an 8 MP digital camera. The cost of such a camera would be roughly equivalent to the cost of my current film camera and scanner plus the cost of film and development for a couple thousand photos.

I've got photos online at http://trainiax.0catch.com/mephoto.htm

#172637  by Fred G

I have a Nikon N70 film and D70 digital. I chose Nikon again for digital as I can use my existing lenses and mostly as it's a really good camera. I must confess to photographing exclusively with digital now, mostly because I don't print out but rather publish to the web and the convenience factor outweighs any supposed quality edge that film has (remember, you still have your scanner in the middle of web publishing film photos). Again, were I to lean more heavily on printing, I'd be shooting more film. Here are my rail photos: http://www.madre-de-dios.org/gallery/railroad

#189630  by mxdata

I always have had a very strong bias toward using film cameras, but I also use digital equipment and I have to admit (perhaps reluctantly) that if my boss asked me to go out and do a photo project where there would be only one chance for access, I would probably grab the digital camera just so I could see the results right away and tell if anything needed to be adjusted. However about 90 percent of my photography is still with film cameras, and I find that with a Nikon scanner and Adobe Photoshop you can "fix" just most of the things that might go wrong with slides.

#190089  by EdM

I have 'em all, d30,10d,20d and one of these days I am going to get a 2 1/4 film scanner and go back to the Bronica 4x6.... 'Till then, the Canons are OK... anyone want a 4x5 Crown?,enlarger,tank???? Ed