Railroad Forums 

• Diddy bag/Grip

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#61041  by Dude38

Hey there Brothers,
I'm the dork that hurt himself at home, anyway it's all good. I'm 6wks post op and looks like I'll be 100% in two more weeks. I'm broke but hanging in there. Anyway here's my question: What do I need to put in my winter grip or yard diddy bag?? Specifically foul weather gear, ect...
I'm at NE Nevada and we get our fair share of snow. I know that the leather gloves are useless when wet, any suggestions?? I have also gone through 3 pairs of cheap boots(my voucher is not until march)any hints on a decent boot?? I'm jazzed about going back to work, I've been in the house waaaay to long. I'm sure that you're wondering, "why doesn't he ask someone there"? Well believe it or not, no one seems to care specifically my union reps and that's ok because I'm changing unions and going to only care about me when I get bact to work. Sorry for rambling on I just need a little guidance with my gear.

#61101  by Paul

Glad to see your back (no pun intended). Well, I used to work in Selkirk, New York for Conrail and it has been know to drop to -40 at times. I was with MofE
but I found i could get though the winters with a good pair of insulated work boots (Redwings is my fav brand) a pair of golashas (sp) to keep them dry in snow, a pair of duck filled Carhart overalls (the one piece with hood), long johns (thermal underware) wool socks and bring many pairs with you. Gotta keep the feet dry and warm. When you get in the cab for your journey, get out of the overalls so you dont sweat. Dress in layers so you can cool down or warm up as you need. Practice makes perect. Good luck.