Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #701486  by ReadingCrusader

Hi all,

I was reading a history book about the Pennington, NJ area recently that said there was a B & O train that stopped at the town's Reading Railroad station. From what I can remember, the book said that the train went from Reading Terminal to Wayne Junction and eventually Jersey City. To the local residents, "this was THE train to get to Philadelphia".

When would this service have ran? How long did it run? What were the other stops the train made?

ReadingCrusader
 #701633  by hutton_switch

Look at the topic "B&O Operations in New Jersey" a few topics down in this particular forum and you'll get the general answers you're looking for.
 #702291  by BaltOhio

As far as I know, B&O passenger trains in the 20th century stopped only at Wayne Jct. on the Reading, and Plainfield and Elizabeth on the CNJ. They did not stop at any Reading local stations, did not use Reading Terminal, and, in fact, I believe they were precluded from carrying any local traffic to/from Reading and CNJ points by contract. In the 19th century, especially the late 1880s, things may have been different.