Railroad Forums 

• Did Dolomite in Gates NY ever have a loco?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1393285  by BR&P

Was scanning NYC DICCS maps into my computer files and noted the Dolomite quarry at Howard Road is shown "Does own switching". Anybody know whether they had their own loco, or just used a rail crane or even tractors?
 #1393312  by BR&P

Thank you! Amazing how many local industries had their own power. Might make an interesting thread. Just off the top of my head there was Kodak, RG&E 2 plants, Odenbach, Dolomite. and I think Gleason. What about Turner Glass? They had a large plant and had self-propelled rail cranes, but not sure about a loco. Farther afield we already have a thread about the quarries at Lime Rock and Leroy. General Crushed Stone at Oaks Corners had their own engine(s?).
 #1393389  by FarmallBob

RussNelson wrote: Plus Trackmobiles.
The Rochester Products plant on Lexington Ave had a pair of Trackmobiles in the mid-70's. The older one was an odd side rod connected unit. The newer unit I believe was a model 9TM.

Unknown the disposition of the side rod unit. But I think the later one is now in the collection at the RGVRM in Rush.

...FB
 #1393400  by jr

Pfaudler had a couple of Trackmobiles into the '80s, at least. I believe that they were older 5TMs.

Gleason had a fireless steam loco. However I once asked an older long-time employee about it, and he said that they "never" used it. I was not able to establish exactly the context of his "never", so it might not have been a literal "never".

JR
 #1393448  by nydepot

"What have we forgotten?" never got updated. There are more. The list also says Dolomite has a crane. I can't speak to that but they did have a Plymouth.

The Gleason steamer was in an Arcadia book for Rochester Transportation.

Charles
 #1393449  by BR&P

Mike Stellpflug wrote:Page 5 of the April 2005 Rochester NY Chapter NRHS newsletter "The Semaphore" has a listing
of all the Rochester area Industrial loco's.

http://www.rgvrrm.org/media/semaphore/R ... 200504.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well, Rand beat me to it by about 11 years! Image

I knew RG&E Station 9 had a winch or cable system. That list shows they had a Trackmobile. I have no reason to doubt it, but I was not aware of it.
 #1393592  by CPSmith

jr wrote:Pfaudler had a couple of Trackmobiles into the '80s, at least. I believe that they were older 5TMs.

Gleason had a fireless steam loco. However I once asked an older long-time employee about it, and he said that they "never" used it. I was not able to establish exactly the context of his "never", so it might not have been a literal "never".

JR
Not sure where the "never" came from, but it certainly wasn't true. Not sure either when the fireless cooker disappeared, but I'm sure it was well worn out.

GW ceased rail service around 1987 (give or take a year) when the last foundry was shut down. Casting sand was the last inbound freight. There used to be lots of track around. Now, you have to know where to look as every little improvement project may start with ripping up old rail.

GW still generates its own steam. Used to be coal fired, but switched to gas (a guess) in the 80s (another guess). No coal meant no need for rail, so everything rail-related slowly declined. GW still owned a few coal hoppers at the very end. They were most assuredly not interchangeable, so I believe they were scrapped on site.

The attached photo is of the old engine house (if you want to call it that). The rails are still in place, but the only denizens today are a large front end loader used for (among other tasks) plowing snow and a few stray cats.
 #1393593  by Mike Stellpflug

I started working at Gleasons in 1977.
I've always worked in the proximity of the area where the tracks are located.
They used to use a large tow motor for shuffling the coal cars until they converted to gas IIRC.

There is not much track left, if any, as the latest parking lot expansion required the removal of much ground in the area around the powerhouse.
I'll have to take a closer look out back and see if anything is left.

Mike