Railroad Forums 

• Did Conrail remove dynamics from SW-8 pups?

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#512562  by gashat

Hello Would like to know if Conrail removed the dynamic brakes from all of the L V pups after they took over.A number of years ago i came across North Shore 366 wich is ex CR 8679.In looking at the photo i took,it still has the DB grids in the side. Can't tell if the fan is still in place. Does anyone know? Thanks

#512679  by GOLDEN-ARM

From my recollections, they simply welded a piece of steel over the intake box, and occasionally removed the fan, with that being plated over, as well. I used to make it a point, to look inside one, when I had one, to see what was left. Never saw one "boarded up", with the brakes still inside. I would sometimes try to scrape/peel away blue paint, to uncover Red, but this was just to kill some time. Conrail did a massive switcher rebuilding, where they added a 26 schedule brake system, and standardized the controllers, and electrical system, to ease maintainance, I guess. I wouldn't mind having half a dozen Pups today, as a matter of fact.......... :wink:

#512710  by scharnhorst

On of the Diesel Spotters Guides shows an Ex Lehigh SW8 that went to Amtrak that also shows the signs of haveing a DB fan on it but the sides of the hood where the intakes are were plated over as well.

#512723  by Lehighton_Man

Well most SW8 'Pups' went to conrail and word had it that conrail removed most of the DBs on the SW8s. The saying was by Juninta Shop workers that "such locomotive doesnt need such jewelery"
So, most DBs on the SW8s got the chop.
Cheers.
Sean

#513063  by lvrr325

Just like with GP7/9 units, units that were rebuilt or given heavy overhauls had dynamic brakes removed or deactivated. Made less parts to maintain or risk having break down on you.
 #524082  by gashat

First of all,thanks to everyone who replied. I was down to northumberland this past week and checked this for myself.As most of you speculated the D B are long gone.This area is simply plated over.Thanks again. Gene

#527041  by Zeke

When Conrail took over quite a few LV diesels wound up in the North Jersey terminal. The Oak Island hump jobs were still using LV pups mu-ed from time to time interspersed with ex LV geeps way before the SD-38 slug sets showed up. I had an SW-8 one afternoon on a Port Reading road drill and was tooling down the ex-CNJ chemical coast with ten or twelve tank cars and decided to try out the dynamic brake. I flipped the handle on the control stand from RUN to Dynamic Brake advanced the throttle a few notches and was met with an earth shaking KA-BOOM replete with smoke, ground relay and ringing alarm bell. When I would catch another one I never had the nerve to try it again. They were excellent drill engines very sure footed some of them had polished brass bell, sander and brake handles, you could tell they were well cared for by the LV.