Railroad Forums 

• Did Atlantic Coast Line have its own signal aspects

• Forum dedicated to the Seaboard System Railroad and its predecessors, aka The Family Lines System, prior to its operational merger with the Chessie System, forming CSX, in 1982. Predecessors included the Atlantic Coast Line, the West Point Route, the Clinchfield, the Louisville and Nashville, the Seaboard Air Line, and the Seaboard Coast Line.
Forum dedicated to the Seaboard System Railroad and its predecessors, aka The Family Lines System, prior to its operational merger with the Chessie System, forming CSX, in 1982. Predecessors included the Atlantic Coast Line, the West Point Route, the Clinchfield, the Louisville and Nashville, the Seaboard Air Line, and the Seaboard Coast Line.
 #1510123  by WhartonAndNorthern

Looking at a compilation of the CSX signal rules, one sees "standard" rules (Seaboard or B&O), C&O rules, and ex-Conrail (NORAC) rules. The ETT for the RF&P sub explains its cab signal aspects. Yet, I don't see anything for the ex-ACL. I know they historically used three-color searchlights. Did they have a the same set of aspects as SAL, or were signals on ex-ACL lines standardized in the SCL, Seaboard System, or CSX eras?
 #1513450  by mmi16

All railroads had their own signal aspect back in the day. Many of them were similar company to company - BUT many were not.

I believe there was a Chicago commuter train derailment 15 or 20 years ago. The engineer HAD been an employee of one railroad and then became employed by another carrier - The signals displayed a indication to move over a crossover at 10 MPH or thereabouts. The engineer 'read' the signal as permitting Limited Speed or 45 MPH or thereabouts. The resulting derailment killed several people.
 #1569728  by Engineer Spike

You might have to compare ACL signal rules with the SAL, and SCL. They might have been close enough that with a few changes everything could be made universal. Similarly my uncle had told me about some small changes made by Penn Central to make a universal set of rules between former PRR, Central, and New Haven territories. This would have had to have been further modified to include EL, LV, Reading, and CNJ under Conrail. I know that D&H had to change some signal aspects to conform with Conrail and the other NORAC member roads.

Similar to CSX, NS has one set of rules for Southern, and other sets for N&W and Conrail territories. It seems like the southern and western roads used route signals, vs. speed signals of the northeastern roads.