Railroad Forums 

• Diamonds on the DL&W and Erie

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#418897  by pdman

How many diamonds were there on these two roads and where were they?

I can remember the following:

* Greenwood Lake and Boonton Line

* Branchville Line and L&HR west of Andover

* Branchville Line and L&NE west of Stradders and east of Branchville.

Where were others?

#418915  by pablo

Corry, PA across the Pennsylvania Railroad, and Olean, NY, ditto.

Dave Becker

#418980  by scottychaos

probabably several hundred of them..
EL was a big system..

Erie/NYC at Mortimer, NY (Rochester)
Erie/G&W at Caledonia, NY
Erie/BR&P at Leroy, NY
Erie/NYC at Leroy, NY
DL&W/PRR at Mount Morris, NY
Erie/DL&W at Owego, NY
DL&W/LV at Owego, NY
DL&W/LV at Cortland Junction, SE of Ithaca, NY

Scot
Last edited by scottychaos on Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

#419001  by washingtonsecondary

Erie/NYS&W Pompton Lakes

NYS&W/DL&W (DL&W's Sussex Branch, Branchville NJ I think)
 #419008  by henry6

How far back do you want to go? Look at Taber's first book or Cunningham's book for pics of diamonds from the 19th Century just in New Jersey! Then look at maps from the different era's, too. I am sure the number of diamonds would run into the thousands between Chicago and the Hudson!

#419153  by johnpbarlow

Still one in use at CP-BD at Bingo where DL&W Syracuse/Utica branch (now CP) crossed Erie mainline (now CNY/NS).

#419163  by nydepot

Where was this in Avon? The Rochester-Mt. Morris portion ran N-S. At the north end of Avon, the line to Attica branched off. At the south end of town, the line to Livonia branched off.
scottychaos wrote:probabably several hundred of them..

Erie/Erie at Avon, NY

Scot

Add Erie/DL&W at Mt. Morris

Charles

#419251  by roc

I have the same contribution every time this question, or a variant, comes up:

DV at Falconer, NY—the crossing of the EL and NYC

#419391  by pablo

Dammit, I forgot that one again, and it's the closest to me....

Dave Becker

#419398  by scottychaos

nydepot wrote:Where was this in Avon? The Rochester-Mt. Morris portion ran N-S. At the north end of Avon, the line to Attica branched off. At the south end of town, the line to Livonia branched off.
scottychaos wrote:probabably several hundred of them..

Erie/Erie at Avon, NY

Scot

Add Erie/DL&W at Mt. Morris

Charles
'doh!
right you are Charles..no diamond at Avon.
for some reason I have always had it stuck in my head that the two Erie lines crossed at a diamond at Avon!
but they never did..

Scot

#419593  by pdman

Branchville Line: I forgot the NYS&W one. It was in the middle of nowhere. That little branch had three diamonds.

Was there ever a connection at the NYS&W one?

#420045  by GOLDEN-ARM

DL&W/ERIE diamond at Denville. Lake Junction, DL&W/CNJ. Ferromonte Junction, DL&W/CNJ.

#420053  by mikedc3

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:DL&W/ERIE diamond at Denville. Lake Junction, DL&W/CNJ. Ferromonte Junction, DL&W/CNJ.
Closest the Erie came to Denville was Mt. View or Essex Fells. Both 10+ miles away. The Diamond in Denville was DLnW Boonton line on DLnW Rockaway line.

#420059  by GOLDEN-ARM

Ooops, MY bad! Remember the ROW there, and know it was a diamond. Was certain the original routing of the Erie was there. Oh well. The rails used to go quiter aways back, behind the shopping center. Not sure if this stuff still exists, or not.