Railroad Forums 

• Developments in Nigeria.

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#275224  by george matthews

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/f ... 06-004.htm

I wonder if they can revive Nigeria' railway? 30 Years ago there were container trains and a regular passenger service.

I used the passenger trains occasionally. I once took the train from Kano (where I had left my car) to try to go to the airport in Lagos to fly to Kenya. The train was supposed to arrive near Ibadan in the morning, but when I woke I was not yet at Ilorin. I missed my flight.

The taxi drivers found the train and took people onwards. I arrived at the airport long after the fight had left.

On another occasion I took the train from Kaduma to Kano, to see my car insurance office, after a crash. That train was on time. At that time the system was run by Indian Railways, who did a good job. They found spares and brought back locomotives into service. They also acquired new Japanese carriages. But since then there have been numerous incompetent governments and the system seems to have decayed away.