Railroad Forums 

• Detours return... Week of April 29

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#392661  by rcbsd45

Starting this week(probably Sunday the 29th) the NYSW will be handling two detour trains(possibly more).....one in each direction; between Syracuse and Little Ferry NJ. Its believed(but not confirmed) that this is due to trackwork that CSX has on its double track Selkirk Branch, in particular the area west of Selkirk Yard and east of Rotterdam Jct. They are expected to last for two weeks. No word on which trains will be re routed as of this writing....

#392987  by rcbsd45

Tentatively, the detour symbols are Q156 and Q163, both stack train The Q163 originates in a small container yard adjacent to Port Newark and the CSX road crew usually goes on duty at Port Newark around 1830(6:30PM) this train normally terminates at Syracuse. Its counterpart is the Q162, usually on duty in Selkirk at 1700(5 PM) after its short hop from Dewitt. The 156 is a stack train for South Kearny from Chicago, and normally has a block of cars to drop at Syracuse before continuing east. Not sure if this will still be the case. Train usually his Syracuse mid to late morning, and Selkirk mid to late afternoon, but its not always the case, other than it arrives in Syracuse in daylight, unless it gets really held up enroute. The above info is just that, information and does not guarantee actual operating times. Stay tuned, as usual....

#393037  by rcbsd45

Per my internal and reliable sources, the first 163 should head west over the NYSW this evening, Monday April 30th, and the first 156 should also head south from Syracuse to Binghamton, then to NJ, sometime this afternoon/evening. Its supposed to go for two weeks, but who knows.....

#393154  by trainfreak

Drat looks like ill be getting home from school just as the detours end.

#393409  by rcbsd45

First detour left Syracuse moday evening. Train is the Q156 with CSXT 5249 and 5347. Unknown number of cars. Should have hit Binghanton about 11 PM. if they add freight, then it will add time and delay the train. the ideal situation would be to have him hit Port Jervis before 4:15 AM, otherwise he may get stuck for the NJT rush. But it should be a early to mid morning trip over the NYS&W in NJ, as it shapes up.....

#393654  by amoreho1

syx/q156 came through about 10ish and it was a stacker
Last edited by amoreho1 on Tue May 01, 2007 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#393655  by rcbsd45

Train, the Q156, is to be getting recrewed at Rich's Deli, approx MP 51, then continuing east. should be on the Southern Divison by now

#393665  by SecaucusJunction

Somebody slow the train down... I want to see it when I leave here in an hour......

#394219  by geoffand

Around 7:00 pm there was a freight with double stacks sitting underneath the Rt. 15 bridge in Sparta, NJ. I'm guessing this is one of the detours.

#398600  by PlayMania

Why didnt I hear anything about these "detour" trains after about 3 days? Did they suddenly stop running?