Railroad Forums 

• Detour(s) in the works

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#367660  by blockline4180

Starting on March 10th and lasting for about a month the Q156(Chicago-South Kearny, NJ) intermodel will be detouring via the Syracuse Branch to Binghamton and then east over the Tier down the NYSW mainline in NJ. This is due to a massive tie replacement project on the Riverline. As of now there is no westbound counterpart planned to operate over the NYSW. Why they are doing the curfew in March rather then the summer is beyond me!

#367668  by Steve F45

nice a stack train on the q!!! Sometimes i wonder why just the 1 detour especially with this huge tie replacement? I mean if you drove over to the river line north of cp10, piles and piles of ties for as far as the eye can see.

#367751  by charlie6017

In the past, Q271 has been known to detour as well.......

#367784  by RichM

I think only one detour because the tie replacement is a daylight activity, the normal schedules can be juggled except for 1-2 trains a day.

#367908  by High Iron Photography

2005Vdub wrote:nice a stack train on the q!!! Sometimes i wonder why just the 1 detour especially with this huge tie replacement? I mean if you drove over to the river line north of cp10, piles and piles of ties for as far as the eye can see.

yep...

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=175210

#368010  by rcbsd45

After the way the NYS&W has screwed these up in the past, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that CSX HAS to do something to alleviate their congestion during the work period, and the 156 seems to be the best candidate for that. CSX will no doubt be keeping an eye on this, after last year. CSX told the NYSW specifically NOT to combine traffic off the NYSW , which the railroad agreed to, but did anyway causing delays. The NYSW also allowed a Q271 to outlaw on the Southern Tier and just sit, unmanned for close to 30 hours(or some ridiculous amount fo time like that), which CSX didn't appreciate. I've heard rumors of a corresponding westbound detour, but at this point cannot confirm it. But as they say, believe half of what you see, and less of what you hear. When it actually happens, then you can believe the reports. Stay tuned.....

#368036  by SecaucusJunction

I think that the reason that Q271 wasnt chosen as a westbound counterpart is because the train now terminates in Selkirk. Besides intermodal traffic, do all of the northbound trains on the River Line terminate in Selkirk?

#368042  by rcbsd45

Pretty much.... occasionally, a 434 may run through to Buffalo when Selkirk is plugged, but usually, the 434, 410, 418, 273, 276, 438, will all terminate there.

#368292  by Steve F45

what about something like the q118 or its northern counterpart?
 #368298  by BlockLine_4111

blockline4180 wrote:Starting on March 10th and lasting for about a month the Q156(Chicago-South Kearny, NJ) intermodel will be detouring via the Syracuse Branch to Binghamton and then east over the Tier down the NYSW mainline in NJ.
Ah, yes superstackers returning to the "Q". Superstacking on the Susie Q again.

Would be nice if they could detour down the Utica branch, heh?

Anyway will they take the So. Tier to Campbell Hall and down the "Q" or go further down NJT to Passaic Jct. to access the "Q"?

blockline4180 wrote:This is due to a massive tie replacement project on the Riverline.
Wood ties or concrete ties? In this day and age and especially with the volume and investment in this route they should go to concrete ties.

#368565  by amoreho1

too bad its only for such a short time

also......

does nysw still do the pass over trains going from binghamton to Selkirk and Buffalo
 #368577  by blockline4180

BlockLine_4111 wrote:
blockline4180 wrote:Starting on March 10th and lasting for about a month the Q156(Chicago-South Kearny, NJ) intermodel will be detouring via the Syracuse Branch to Binghamton and then east over the Tier down the NYSW mainline in NJ.
Ah, yes superstackers returning to the "Q". Superstacking on the Susie Q again.

Would be nice if they could detour down the Utica branch, heh?

Anyway will they take the So. Tier to Campbell Hall and down the "Q" or go further down NJT to Passaic Jct. to access the "Q"?

blockline4180 wrote:This is due to a massive tie replacement project on the Riverline.
Wood ties or concrete ties? In this day and age and especially with the volume and investment in this route they should go to concrete ties.

No, the trains are supposed to go down the NYSW at CH and not the Entire Southern Tier to Passaic Junction.

Woods ties are going in.

#368746  by trainfreak

Wow this works out good for I will be home for spring break on March 9th! Nothing more wild and crazy then chasing stacks on the NYSW.

#368883  by washingtonsecondary

In my opinion its better when they are west bounder's. Trains fighting the grade are easier to keep track of and chase.

#372893  by blockline4180

Per information on Trainorders. com it looks like the Detours will not occur now!! Hmmm, I wonder if this has anything to do with a certain poster and thread in the NJ forum!