Railroad Forums 

• Derailment in Charlemont 02-27-2017

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1422120  by MEC407

From The Recorder:
The Recorder wrote:CHARLEMONT — Pan Am Railways is investigating the cause of a train derailment Monday morning in Charlemont. Eighteen freight cars – most of them empty – derailed on a train carrying about 130 cars.
. . .
The derailed cars were uncoupled from the train around 10 a.m. and left on the tracks as the other cars were removed.
Read the rest of the article at: http://www.recorder.com/Train-comes-off ... nt-8351444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1422125  by MEC407

And for those keeping score, here's the list of recent newsworthy PAR derailments:

• Charlemont 02-27-2017
• Ayer 01-27-2017
• Chelmsford 01-19-2017
• Leeds/Monmouth 12-20-2016
• Shelburne Falls 12-18-2016
• Westford 11-01-2016
 #1422128  by MEC407

I hadn't heard about that one. Any details? I only included the ones I could find news articles about.
 #1422153  by johnpbarlow

MEC407 wrote:From The Recorder:
The Recorder wrote:CHARLEMONT — Pan Am Railways is investigating the cause of a train derailment Monday morning in Charlemont. Eighteen freight cars – most of them empty – derailed on a train carrying about 130 cars.
. . .
The derailed cars were uncoupled from the train around 10 a.m. and left on the tracks as the other cars were removed.
Read the rest of the article at: http://www.recorder.com/Train-comes-off ... nt-8351444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How did crew know train derailed if it didn't separate- what put train into emergency?
 #1422194  by neman2

MEC407 wrote:I hadn't heard about that one. Any details? I only included the ones I could find news articles about.
http://www.telegram.com/news/20170129/f ... ing-detour" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This was posted in the POSE/SEPO thread on January 29. You commented at that time on the frequency of derailments. Just like me I'm sure you have found memory is the second thing to go.
 #1422196  by GU1001

johnpbarlow wrote:
How did crew know train derailed if it didn't separate- what put train into emergency?
Coincidentally the engines could have run out of lube oil & shut down as the rail bed disintegrated behind them. This is Pan Am after all :-D
 #1422214  by EDFLD Bill

johnpbarlow wrote:
When the wheels come off the rail and go "in the dirt", the train suddenly pulls a LOT harder. Plus, you will usually feel tugging, especially with 18 cars. This is an immediate indication that something is wrong behind you.......
 #1422230  by Lmiller

Passed the company crane and an older ten wheeler highrail MOW truck west bound on rt. 2 Monday around noon, guess that answered my question of where it was going !
 #1422238  by MEC407

neman2 wrote:
MEC407 wrote:I hadn't heard about that one. Any details? I only included the ones I could find news articles about.
http://www.telegram.com/news/20170129/f ... ing-detour" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This was posted in the POSE/SEPO thread on January 29. You commented at that time on the frequency of derailments. Just like me I'm sure you have found memory is the second thing to go.
Ha! Yes, and thank you for refreshing my memory. :-)

It's also hard to remember all of them when there are so darned many of them... :wink: