Railroad Forums 

• Derailment 2x - Same Place- 11 MONTHS!

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#345758  by doepack

Having two accidents at the same site was, until now, a phenomenon that only seemed to occur on Metra; in fact, both of Metra's most recent derailments not only occured at the same site 18 months apart, but with precisely the same locomotive! Wonder if a simliar coincidence occurred with this accident...

#345764  by ExEMDLOCOTester

doepack wrote:Having two accidents at the same site was, until now, a phenomenon that only seemed to occur on Metra; in fact, both of Metra's most recent derailments not only occured at the same site 18 months apart, but with precisely the same locomotive! Wonder if a simliar coincidence occurred with this accident...
Comiskey Park area?

#345949  by Dieter

Last year's wreck was a small train, this was over 200 cars long. Another case for not dropping the number of people in a cab down to one. Anybody want the caboose back for safety reasons?

Last year the bridge was taken out, this year it looks like it will need a rebuild as well. The only thing I heard so far is that it might have been caused by a rocking empty.

D/

#346552  by gp9rm4108

You say over 200 cars?
One report says it was 80 cars.
Another report said it was like 150 or so.

WHICH ONE IS RIGHT?

#346848  by lock4244

Seems lately on CN an 80 car train is a mere wayfreight. They run the road freights REALLY long. For me personally, the longest CN freight I've seen was 178 cars on an eastbound on the Kingston Sub.

If you ever have to wait at a grade crossing for a monster westbound to climb the hill on the York Sub in east Toronto, bring a good book... you'll get through a chapter waiting.

#347456  by Dieter

I can't get an accurate # either. I wonder if it was a train being run in sections due to excessive length? A few years back, I saw three southbound trains back to back about 30 Km south of Levis. I can't find anymore pictures either.

D/

#349008  by lock4244

Regarding big trains on CN, I copied this from C-N-R List at Yahoo Groups:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"CN M32121 12 by Clarke West (mile 289 CN Kingston Sub) at 0044-13 with...

CN 2529
CN 5436
-100 mixed freight
CN 2205
-90 mixed freight

For those of you who can't add, that's 190 cars!!! He was doing a whopping 40mph downhill, and I overheard him telling another train that the DPU was a piece of junk, thus, probably why the train was 8
hours late!

TDS (Bowmanville, ON)"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw this guy at roughly 1630hrs while eating at a truck stop in Napanee, ON. I noticed the DPU unit and did a tripple take... unbelieveable.

#350001  by Dieter

This one's falling off the radar outside of Greater Montmagny; any news on the cause of the derailment?

D/